Carburetor Cleaner

Gentlemen,

My 1935 Buick Special 46C has been stalling when I come to a stop.  I have bumped the idle up and that

seems to help.  It has been suggested that I run a can of carburetor cleaner through the gas tank to 

clean out the carburetor jets.  Has anyone done this?  Any issues with it damaging a 1935 car engine?  Does

this work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John P.  BCA #50690

All the junk in the tank will brake loose and plug your system. There is no free lunch. Figure out what your problem is....fuel or ignition. Then service it appropriately. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 1939 Cadillac LaSalle Coup said:

Gentlemen,

It has been suggested that I run a can of carburetor cleaner through the gas tank to 

clean out the carburetor jets.  Has anyone done this?  Any issues with it damaging a 1935 car engine?  Does

this work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John P.  BCA #50690

If you heed this "advice", this will be by far the most expensive can of anything you ever buy!

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

have two old cars     36 Plymouth ,,  used Hirsch gas tank coating when I bought it in the 80s    do you a small filter before carb   never had a problem   last summer had a problem with my 32 plymouth   I could see debris floating in the glass filter which is part of the fuel pump  then had a problem starting the car,,,I dropped the tank,,,,,got a small light in so I could see and noticed rust spots,,not that bad,,,flushed out,,and used Hirsch tank coating ,,,cleaned the filter on Pump---rebuilt carb-----problem solved---------if you have to increase the idle may be time to do a little laundry -------------------BR

PLYMOUTH P2 2.jpg

PLYMOUTH pa.JPG

I would take a close look at the ignition system points, condenser, and advance mechanisms. Pin holes in vacuum lines are something overlooked as well.

Be careful about replacing a condenser just for general principal. It is a crap shoot whether a new one will be good. They are very poor quality. A known good one from a running car is really all I would trust. Only with that kind of proof would I replace a condenser with a new one. And I wouldn't trust the new one for at least a year.

A carburetor is just a pot of gasoline with some holes that gas gets sucked through. They get blamed for way more than they should.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1