Dad in Curacao 1935; what car please?

This is a pic of my dad (born in 1912) that was taken in Curacao. The top pic is dated 2-Dec-35 with the inscription "Hato" which is/was the name of the airport there that he worked at as a mechanic for KLM. The bottom pic is dated 23-Oct-35 and has my dad's name and also the name of "Den Hartog" which is a common name in Holland. My dad is in the top pic and on the right in the bottom pic. I can tell he is in Curacao because of his white trousers and the license plate... I think the licence plate says "1879-C" or "1079-C" or something like that. My research (noted on another pic I posted a few days ago) says that the "C" designates an "island government" vehicle. Just wondering what vehicle this is...

And thank you!   

Jennifer

Top pic 2-Dec-35 Hato bottom pic 23-Oct-35 Den Hartog Curacao.jpg

Actually, I believe it's a '33 Ford. While virtually identical to the '34, the '33 grille has a slight concave curve to it and the perimeter is ever so slightly thinner.

Your father must have been a tall fellow, too!

• Like 2

The Dutch are reputed to be the world's tallest people. I spent some waiting time at Schipol airport in Amsterdam, and I can well believe it.

I didn't realize that Den Hartog was a common Dutch name. Until recently, one of the finest collections of older Fords was in a museum by that name in The Netherlands.

I reached out to a "Den Hartog" on FB yesterday. But she married into the family. She asked her husband if he knew of a relation who may have worked in Curacao or worked/flown for KLM.  It's a very long shot but he will reach out to relatives!  Dad wasn't all that tall - 5'11" - but my sis and I are/were both 5'9.  He was 1 of 9 kids...  

3 hours ago, Jennifer Plesman Jackson said:

I reached out to a "Den Hartog" on FB yesterday. But she married into the family. She asked her husband if he knew of a relation who may have worked in Curacao or worked/flown for KLM.  It's a very long shot but he will reach out to relatives!  Dad wasn't all that tall - 5'11" - but my sis and I are/were both 5'9.  He was 1 of 9 kids...  

Yes there are some tall Dutch out there - not me though, all of my forebears were English. My wedding in the 1980s. That is my wife's grandfather sitting at left - he was 78 then and about 6'3'. Her, by then late, grandmother was less than 5' so her father ended up somewhere in between. My two brothers-in-law are both over 6'6". I am just on 6', and my two boys are one a bit taller and one about the same height as me. My daughter is the same height as her mother.

There was a Dutch family lived in this area a couple of decades ago where all members of the family were over 6'. 

PICT0019aaa.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Actually, I believe it's a '33 Ford. While virtually identical to the '34, the '33 grille has a slight concave curve to it and the perimeter is ever so slightly thinner.

The other thing to define it as a '33 is the lack of a visible hood latch. The '33 had only one - in the middle - the '34 had two, one at each end.

• Like 4