Painting Hubcaps

I've asked this question on an Australian Forum but also value the opinions given on this forum.

I have my hubcap skins back from the Chrome Plater and I need to paint the indented word Dodge, the arrows on each side of Dodge and the indented ring that runs around the circumference of the skin.

Any suggestions / experience to a methodology to do this and what type of paint would you use.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

( whatever happens, I'll post photos along the way )

An easy way is to have a silicone scraper. Paint it all as best you can with a small brush and before it dries go along all the edges with the silicone scraper. You can buy them at Bunnings, they sell them as chalking blades in a pack of 4. 
it would be best to get in there with a scotchbrite the best you can without scratching the chrome. 
An etch primer will make it stick to the chrome a little better but it’s obviously twice the work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I paint with good enamel, model paint is a good choice. I then wrap a couple of layers of cloth like cotton sheet material over my flat sanding block tightly. Using solvent on the cloth, before the paint fully dries, you can go over the edges to clean them up and not remove the paint from the depressions.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Do you think I need to scruff ( very gently ) the lower sections first to give the paint something to grip ?

It would definitely help. I would use a really blunt pencil and put some scotch brite tightly over the end and just take the shine off the chrome. They look beautiful. I think the silicone scraper would work quit well on them.