First Roll up windows

rhurst

(edited)

I believe Peerless Motor Car Company will win this debate about the first roll up window. Speaking of changes in the 1914 Peerless Limousines, Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal of  
September 1, 1913,  in an article on page 175 titled “New Peerless Closed Cars” states:

"All frames and casements have been eliminated by the use of the Swiss Railway type of window - a heavy plate .glass which moves up and down in a groove. In the side and inner compartment windows are raised and lowered by means of a strap. Those (windows) in the side doors are moved by a special patented device when a handle similar to that on a safe, is turned about."

That describes roll up windows, finding a photo of it will be a challenge because of the scaricity of Peerless cars and photos of the interior of Peerless Limousines.

This was in the 1914 model year though was functioning  by the publication date in 1913. Later references to Peerless cars in 1914 refers to the same system but little detail is given. Perhaps the patent could be accessed...

Edited by alextheantiqueautoguy
correction of sighting (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well done Alex I think you have the answer.  Did the Peerless have 4 roll up windows or only the two in the back?

So far 1919 or 1920 were the first sedans with 4 roll up windows. Would love to see the Gray and Davis system.

Robert

Thanks for your kind notice.

This could be a roll up but it is a 1912 model and I haven't found a source for 1912 window cranks. I may even have to edit my first comment to 1914, not 1913 but I'm working on it. Nothing like a fast post to make you scramble to check your sources.

Prior to 1914, windows could be raised and lowered by means of a sash that hung inside the door. Effective but clumsy with heavy plate glass windows.

Below are photos of the interior of the 1912 48-Six (or the Model K or the Model 36) Limousine. Notice the sash on the door.

1912 48-six Berline interior.jpg

Edited by alextheantiqueautoguy
forgot to thank previous poster (see edit history)

Just an observation about roll up windows....I remember in the 1929 Franklin Series 135 that I had, it only took one full turn of the window cranks to lower or raise the windows.

Following on from Keiser31, the Mark6 Bentley And Silver Dawn RR(circa 1950) had only on the drivers door, a lever about a foot  long. This moved about a 8”  fore and aft from open to close. It was so you could quickly put your arm out the window to signal.  

29 minutes ago, frededwarrds said:

Following on from Keiser31, the Mark6 Bentley And Silver Dawn RR(circa 1950) had only on the drivers door, a lever about a foot  long. This moved about a 8”  fore and aft from open to close. It was so you could quickly put your arm out the window to signal.  

A friend had a 1929 Sunbeam with a similar setup.

1 hour ago, frededwarrds said:

That is called a "chauffeur's" window, even though it wasn't only limousines that had them.

Craig

Here is an interesting article on the subject:

https://www.nailhed.com/2014/05/cranked-up.html

While there were probably other versions earlier it claims that the long-forgotten Ternstedt Manufacturing had the patent on a practical window regulator in 1916 (pending since 1911) and built a plant to supply Fisher Body in 1917, then Fisher bought them out in 1920 after the death of the founder, Todd C