1929 Stearns-Knight Slide Arm Bracket

pughs

Steve.......they are on sale at Walmart in the isle with the unicorn horns.............hurry before they run out...........

Sorry......couldn't help myself. I don't think in 40 years I have ever seen any Stearns parts for sale anywhere.......... Interestingly, it doesn't look like standard off the shelf hardware made by the three big companies that made most of the stuff back in the day.......It's probably factory made and body style specific . I think your going to make what you need......

• Like 1

I have spoken with all of the (couple of) Stearns-Knight Model J owners with parts and none of the seem to have this one. It will probably need to be made but I thought I would ask. The original sedan that Al Giddings built his phaeton out of had them. Does anyone know where that body went? Al says he doesn't have anything anymore.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Hate to say it, but probably best just fabricating one to then have a near perfect original one show up am hours after you are done installing it.

Good question:  What else does it fit ?

Ternstedt is the manufacturer’s name.

John.......it’s made by a devision of GM. Each line was dedicated to a particular manufacturer.......so it’s unique to Stearns.

9355C149-F26A-404C-A897-A677072165B7.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, edinmass said:

John.......it’s made by a devision of GM. Each line was dedicated to a particular manufacturer.......so it’s unique to Stearns.

Ternstedt ?   I may have a Franklin one in a drawer - that would give him the tuned knurled part and possibly the screw if the same (or perhaps nothing would interchange - as you mention). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

1 minute ago, John_Mereness said:

Ternstead ?   I may have a Franklin one in a drawer - that would give him the tuned knurled part and possibly the screw if the same (or perhaps nothing would interchange - as you mention). 

Should not cross over.....unless Stearns bought product from Franklin..............they also often use weird thread pitch.

• Like 2

John and Ed,

I have all of the other parts. I am just missing this one part. I am beginning to wonder if it might be in another of the many boxes of junk that came with the car. I will check everything in all of the boxes thoroughly to see if I missed anything. It would be interesting if this is the same as the one used in Franklins in case I don't find it hidden away somewhere.

Steve

Should be easy enough to make out a chunk of brass or bronze........probably less then three hours work.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 9:27 PM, pughs said:

John and Ed,

I have all of the other parts. I am just missing this one part. I am beginning to wonder if it might be in another of the many boxes of junk that came with the car. I will check everything in all of the boxes thoroughly to see if I missed anything. It would be interesting if this is the same as the one used in Franklins in case I don't find it hidden away somewhere.

Steve

Always happy to photograph and measure up the Franklin part - I thought I saw one in a drawer of screws two or so weeks ago.