1936 DeSoto Rear-End

Frank Wilkie

• 4 weeks later...

I need to do some research and learn whether this is the same as the rear end in my 36 D2.  I haven't gotten my car on the road yet but there's so much old lube sprayed around the pinion seal I'm afraid the rear was run with insufficient lube and will need bearings or even a ring & pinion.

22 hours ago, countrytravler said:

I believe the e brake is in the rear end instead of the trans.

Really?  Same year Chrysler product and the Dodge had the parking brake on the transmission and the DeSoto had them on the rear shoes/drums?  That surprises me.  Anyone know for sure?  DeSoto owners care to weigh in?  I don't have a DeSoto parts book to check numbers.  Not that I've had any luck verifying numbers in my Dodge parts book...
I need to find a vintage Hollander catalog.

1 hour ago, Pete in PA said:

Really?  Same year Chrysler product and the Dodge had the parking brake on the transmission and the DeSoto had them on the rear shoes/drums?  That surprises me.  Anyone know for sure?  DeSoto owners care to weigh in?  I don't have a DeSoto parts book to check numbers.  Not that I've had any luck verifying numbers in my Dodge parts book...
I need to find a vintage Hollander catalog.

The Chry and DeSoto with OD had e brake on the rear axle. Here is a picture of my 36 Desoto trans,

1539738467600.jpg

1936 Chrysler overdrive (2).JPG

1936 Chrysler overdrive (4).jpg