Rebuild

Carlin

Hi all,

I'm just starting a rebuild on an engine that was showing signs of rod knock. I believe it's a chevy engine but can't be sure. The numbers stamped into the front passenger side cylinder head are:

12W387535 and V0609OTL. (When I say passenger side I'm just being convenient for you as I'm in New Zealand so it's a right hand drive, so the numbers are stamped on my drivers side but your passenger side). I've tried searching those numbers online to no avail, so there's a possibility they may be incorrect as I had to do a lot of scrubbing to even see them. Any advice or info you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

Ok so managed to get to the back of the engine where I found the numbers 3970010 and GM and the number 34. From online searching it is either a 302, 327 or 350, 1969-80 era. Is there any way of finding the exact capacity as it isn't the original engine for the vehicle?

Picture and Bore and Stroke?

I keep forgetting online resources. Lots of interesting info on engine codes but I did not find OTL in a quick search, are you sure that is correct? If I am reading the prefix correctly it was made in Flint on June 9th.

Dave

OK, so it's a small block Chevy, likely a 350.

12W387535 is the VIN derivative stamp.

1 = Chevrolet division

2 = 1972 model year

W = Willow Run assembly plant

387535 = assembly sequence number from the car this engine came from

Willow Run built the Nova during the 1972, so chances are that's what this engine came out of.

V0609OTL is the engine code

V = Flint engine plant

06 = June

09 = 9th day of the month

OTL = application code 

Unfortunately, I can't find any reference for "OTL". Are you sure it isn't "CTL", which would indicate a 1972 350 2bbl motor.

• Thanks 1

Thanks heaps for that. Likely it is CTL as it was pretty hard to read. I’ve mostly stripped the engine down now and it’s almost ready to pull. I’ll send the block off for testing to see if there’s any damage to it and start ordering parts for the rebuild. Are rebuild kits any good or am I better to buy individual parts from different manufacturers to get the best combination?