It's Spring! Or, it's a spring, anyway.

Trying to reassemble my rebuilt 1937 President engine, there have been a few parts missing, not surprising when you buy a bare engine that has been sold and resold a number of times.  One of the parts missing was a little spring that pulls back the sleeve carrying the throw-out bearing,  It appears in the clutch drawing labeled as E6-4, and Parts Catalog says it has 18.5 turns, but no other information.  How long was it?  How stiff was it?  After trying all the usual parts vendors, I sent off for the drawing.  There are lots of spring makers in the U.S. but most of the on-line stores have minimum orders of $25-$50.  I thought about getting some 0.041" diameter oil-tempered steel wire and winding my own.  In the end, I drove to my local Ace Hardware store armed with the drawing, calipers for checking wire diameter, and a small fisherman's spring scale.  After some minutes of digging through about a dozen bins of stock springs, I found a couple of candidates for $1.59 and $2.39.  Fortunately, all the little bins were labeled with the spring length, body o.d., and wire diameter.  I brought them home and was able to trim one down and re-bend the hooks to approximate the drawing.  My fisherman's scale indicated the pull with a 1/2" of stretch was within spec.  OK!  I wasn't sure these springs could be modified without breaking them, but most of these are formed cold and capable of changes.

The drawing showed a date of 1928, but also indicates it was re-drawn from an earlier part with a 5-digit number, so maybe the original design came from 100 years ago.  I don't think they used this spring after 1937, as later throw-out bearings use a spring that wraps around them.

So, "Ace is the place", as they sing in their TV jingle.  They also have Studebaker parts.

I'm still short a water pump for a 1935-37 President 8 or 1935 Commander 8.  Anyone have a spare one? 

And, it might actually be Spring - I heard the first wood frogs out at the pond last night.

1937_studebaker_president_clutch_small.thumb.png.6dd5ef1af29188e2062a88acd6fc7096.png 

Spring is labeled E6-4 in drawing above.

1348463761_clutchreleasespring165616.thumb.jpg.306f3ee20a7fd28874c90fab0886b15a.jpg

Drawing and modified spring.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

So, "Ace is the place", as they sing in their TV jingle.  They also have Studebaker parts.

I'm still short a water pump for a 1935-37 President 8 or 1935 Commander 8.  Anyone have a spare one? 

And, it might actually be Spring - I heard the first wood frogs out at the pond last night.

I'll check my local ACE Hardware for your water pump, Gary. But I haven't noticed that particular one, as often as I've been there. 😊

spring crocus.jpg

Tom, I haven’t used any particular spring vendor.  Just Google “stock extension springs” or the like, lots of choices.  MSC and McMaster-Carr carry many types of springs as well as 3 ft lengths of coiled spring to be cut to length. I was surprised how simple it was to modify the Ace Hardware spring, had always thought they would break if re-bent. But, also see YouTube videos on making your own springs, fairly easy if you have a small lathe.  See the Porter Spring Winder at advancecarmover.com where you can also buy small quantities of spring wire. Some other neat stuff at that website, too.

I might have a water pump. Dad bought a spare water pumps many years ago and neither of them were the right one for my dictator.  On the weekend I will try and remember to look for them and see if they are the right one. My book says the  pump body should be PN 184105? 

If you dont hear from me on the weekend message me to remind me. 

On 3/10/2020 at 10:22 PM, Albtrossca said:

I might have a water pump. Dad bought a spare water pumps many years ago and neither of them were the right one for my dictator.  On the weekend I will try and remember to look for them and see if they are the right one. My book says the  pump body should be PN 184105? 

If you dont hear from me on the weekend message me to remind me. 

I pulled the water pumps out today. I guess they are not old Studebaker ones. One looks like it was from my dads old ford van. The other I cant tell. No numbers anywhere but I'd say later than 1950 by the shape of the fan. No idea why he kept them?! 

• 2 weeks later...

In the end, the $1.59 Ace Hardware spring, from their Hillman bin #25, worked out just fine after I shortened the coil stack to about 5/8" plus the two half-loops to bring it to about 1-1/4" between the loop ends, as shown in the drawing above.  Here's a photo of the spring in place.  The throwout bearing carrier and the bearing are backwards in the photo, so that the spring is visible.  I had to mount the transmission on the bell housing, then insert the carrier and bearing, and attach the spring before mounting the bell housing to the engine.  I had them precariously balanced on a floor jack to raise the assembly into place while I was lying on the floor of the garage, but I eventually got it in.  I hope I never have to change the spring or bearing!

The clutch pedal will need its own return spring, as the little one is only to move the carrier and bearing.

For Steve and others, I don't have any other bits of a 1937 President, just the engine for use in my Indy car replica.

I guess I'll have lots of time to work on the car since we're not going anywhere soon.  UPS, FedEx, and the USPS are delivering parts I've been ordering on line and the hardware store remains open, for now.  I needed some gaskets, got them in about 36 hours after I called Sandy Olson in Port Orchard, WA - a good man!  About 10 days ago, I ordered a custom fuel cell (gas tank) from Jaz Products in California, hope they are still working.  I bought some 3/8' Cunifer tubing for the gas line from the tank to the engine compartment.  There should be enough work and parts to keep me busy for a while.

563680077_throw-outbearingspringinhousing.thumb.jpg.d7a0bda0339646cfc3433cd91a818949.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)