1965 Riviera passenger cowl vent

kreed

On February 27, 2020 at 10:48 PM, NC1968Riviera said:

Hello!!! 

45 minutes ago, abandg said:

Ken, your part is in the mail. Gene.

Thanks Gene - got your phone message yesterday. Always appreciate the help, Thought $2000.00 was a little steep but you gotta pay what the market says !  😃😃😃 just kidding guy ! Gene's the man - highly recommend . 

KReed

ROA 14549

• 3 weeks later...

Gene Guarnere  ( thanks Gene ) sent me a beautiful passenger side cowl vent , got it painted and ready to install . Question: it appears that the windshield wipers need to be removed and the entire cowl removed to replace the vent - right ? There are three very small screws on the front edge of the vent and the nozzle for the squirter. Does the nozzle screw off or will it slide off when the entire cowl is removed ? not much help in the service manual . I’m always nervous about removing the wipers w/o scratching paint any secrets there - heard there was a special tool ? Any help/ advice  appreciated . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Ken,

You need to pull off the cowl. You`ll find stamped steel nuts on the wiper nozzles. Been awhile since I pulled wipers but I think there is a lock tab which must be moved aside before removing the arm from the pivot. There is a tool but I`ve never needed one. I use a block of wood against the paint and a small angled pry bar under the wiper arm. If you use a pry bar make sure you hang on to the arm so it doesnt do any damage when it pops off.

Tom Mooney

19 minutes ago, kreed said:

Thanks Tom - I was afraid that would be the case . Will try to get the nerve to do it tomorrow and let you know how it goes . Stay healthy!

KReed 

ROA 14549

Hi Ken,

Checked a loose wiper arm and there is no "lock" clip but there is a tab which applies tension so the wiper arm stays put. The "tension" tab will relinquish while prying the arm off the pivot.

BTW...does anyone need wiper arms? I probably have 100 of these things! Im considering doing a mobile work of art for the man- grave,

Tom

11 hours ago, kreed said:

I’m always nervous about removing the wipers w/o scratching paint any secrets there - heard there was a special tool ? Any help/ advice  appreciated . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Hi Ken,

I picked this tool up many years ago for taking off wiper blades. If I remember correctly it was pretty inexpensive and can be found at any of the chain auto parts stores. It has a plastic coating on the bottom to prevent paint damage.

Bill

IMG_5883.JPG

IMG_5884.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG