"This Old Hood"

MargaritavilleBuick

Currently the hood on my 36-40 BC is in three pieces.  It appears the piano hinges came apart some time ago and none has opted to do anything about it.  I have tried to reconnect the pieces but apparently lack the dexterity to lock them back together.  Here is my question:

Is the hinge designed to separate the upper hood from the side vented panels?

If broken, is this repairable using available replacement parts?

Thanks,

Owen

20200218_072158.jpg

Edited by MargaritavilleBuick (see edit history)

Always a problem on old cars.

The centre hinge is different to the 2 sides and is held together by the centre stainless strip - hopefully yours is not damaged or rusted. Soak it with WD40 or similar and see if the stainless strip slides off. This will split the top section of the hood into two easier to handle sides.

I have loaded a number of photos of a standard hood and a Century hood ( same but just 4" longer ) which should give you an idea of how it all works. The rod tends to rust solid in the hinge tags. 

The first problem is to remove the rod if it is rusted in place - a lot of soaking is required. In the past I have heated the tags and opened them up slightly with a wide bladed screwdriver but others here may have a better suggestion. 

Any tags that are broken off can be welded back on.

Study the photos and ask about anything you don't understand.

We are all anxious to see another 1936 back on the road.  

101_8354.JPG

101_8355.JPG

101_8367.JPG

101_8365.JPG

101_8362.JPG

101_8358.JPG

• Like 2

Give the soaking with WD-40 a couple of days.  If you can move the hood, that is good too.  Try not to force it where you might break any hinge tabs.  Work the hood back and forth in small increments until movement starts to become easier, then you can make the movement a little more distance each time.  Do you have access to an air chisel?  Use one with a small rounded punch end.  Get a 6" piece of rod that is the same OD or just slightly smaller than the hinge pin.  Round both ends just slightly to prevent mushrooming using a grinder.  Lay the hood on a thick pad (blanket) on a table.   Have someone hold the hood.  Use the air chisel and the 6" rod and go back and forth on each end of the hood rod to try to get it to move.  Figure what size rod is in your hood, and get one (from online metals ) just one size smaller - even metric.  Once you have the rod moving in one direction or the other, you can start to force the slightly smaller rod to displace the existing hood rod.  The air chisel will set up vibration that should help remove the stubborn rod.  Hugh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2020 at 7:42 AM, MargaritavilleBuick said:

Have let the WD-40 soak in a bit.  I now have a bit of play and will attempt to remove.  Still puzzled on how the upper hood and side panels lock together.  The upper hood has cupped receivers.  

20200221_183305.jpg

20200221_183251.jpg

Owen - the tabs on your upper hood appear to be sprung and opened up way to far.

Refer to the 1st photo I posted which is of the top panel. You will see the tabs are closed right up tight around the rod.

The side panel tabs interlock with the top panel tabs and you then drive the rod in from the end.

101_8354.thumb.JPG.779011fef2b297332a1d9ff96dc26380.JPG

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

On 2/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, 50jetback said:

The centre hinge is different to the 2 sides and is held together by the centre stainless strip - hopefully yours is not damaged or rusted. Soak it with WD40 or similar and see if the stainless strip slides off. This will split the top section of the hood into two easier to handle sides.

I have loaded a number of photos of a standard hood and a Century hood ( same but just 4" longer ) which should give you an idea of how it all works. The rod tends to rust solid in the hinge tags. 

The first problem is to remove the rod if it is rusted in place - a lot of soaking is required. In the past I have heated the tags and opened them up slightly with a wide bladed screwdriver but others here may have a better suggestion. 

101_8354.JPG

101_8355.JPG

101_8367.JPG

101_8365.JPG

101_8362.JPG

101_8358.JPG

How many 36s survive today?  Is their a register?

On 2/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, 50jetback said:

101_8354.JPG

101_8355.JPG

101_8367.JPG

101_8365.JPG

101_8362.JPG

101_8358.JPG

If you are willing to part with the damaged chrome insert, I am needing a piece to fabricate some missing shorter pieces that have fallen out along the way.