68 Wildcat gas tank

Barney Eaton

OK I will ask the question a little differently........what year and model Buick used the same tank as the 1968

Wildcat?    Are there any vendors that sell new reproduction tanks?    If we cannot answer questions like this

how do we help owners keep their Buicks on the road?   

The reason I am involved......the new management of the Buick office gets questions and apparently does not have a list

of BCA technical advisors,  because they send all the questions to me.

All things considered . . . the Buick Wildcat fuel tank is rated at 25 gallons, the Chevy Impala fuel tank is rated at 24 gallons.  Provided that any difference in total length (including the filler neck) can be finagled, then I'd suspect that the Chevy tank AND sending unit might be made to fit under the Buick.  Especially considering that the Impala tank and sending unit might be more possible to buy repro than the Buick item might be.

If the basic Chevy tank might fit as it needs to, but the filler neck length is shorter, then the filler neck section could be cut and a length of rubber fuel-rated hose could be used to extend the filler neck such that it would mount to where it needs to mount on the Buick's body.

Just my suspicions,

NTX5467

I found a Buick parts book online and for some reason 1968 fuel tank part number is not the same as other years.... in fact it does not appear that

there was carry over between any of the years.......however, there may be only a slight difference or some change that made syphoning gas out harder to do.

I also compared the Buick part with Olds and they did not use the same part number....could not find a Pontiac parts book and the Chevy one would not load.

Might consult the Hollander manual.  It might be a "will fit if you do _______" situation?

From a 1972 printing Buick parts book section downloaded from www.wildaboutcarsonline.com, a factory tech information section which requires membership in the automotive historical website to use . . .

LeSabre and Wildcat Tank and Filler              1384180    1968

Electra                                                                  1384177    1968

LeSabre, Wildcat, Electra Tank Mtg Straps    1384678    1965-1968

LeSabre, Wildcat, Electra               Sending Unit w/Return Line    1967-1968

These are all Buick part numbers for non-station wagons.

As the mounting strap part numbers are the same for different years and different models of the big/bigger car Buicks, that MIGHT indicate a bit more interchangeability between models and model years for the basic tank itself.  Which is what the Hollander Interchange Manual could indicate.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467
additional info (see edit history)