1972 Riviera - Carpet Advice

gnatsum

Hey everybody,

I hope you're all having a great day! I was looking at possibly replacing the carpet on my 1972 Buick Riviera. I am not 100% sure if it is the existing one is original but it does not fit that well, especially around the rear seats. This makes me think it was replaced at some point.

I have included some pictures of the interior. Do any of you have a particular place that you would recommend to get a replacement? Also some advice around the carpets. I want to keep the car as original looking as possible.

IMG_2405.jpeg

IMG_7164.jpeg

IMG_7166.jpeg

What is wrong with the carpet?  Is it just dirty?  If so,  remove the carpet from the car, put a water & detergent solution all over the carpet and let it soak for maybe an hour.  Then take a power washer and carefully work  across the carpet pushing the dirt out.  Do not get close enough that you damage the carpet, just to wash the dirt out.

Do that several times and when finished, put over a fence or something tall enough and let it dry out for a couple of days.    The carpet will come out very good.

I would try this every time before buying new unless there are holes worn in the carpet,

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

If I recall correctly, it was common to see GM cars of that era with the carpet pulling away from the door sill at the rear and from under the front edge of the rear seat in the outer rear corner of the rear footwell.  If that's what you have, I'll bet your carpet is original (or made to the original pattern).  From the pictures, you car and carpet really look nice!  If the problem is as I described, try installing additional jute padding in the rear footwells to raise the floor (maybe even consider adding plywood 'spacers' under the carpet).  The idea is to raise the floor just enough to allow the edge of the carpet to tuck back under the sill plate, inner quarter trim panel and front edge of the rear seat, as originally intended.

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

If I recall correctly, it was common to see GM cars of that era with the carpet pulling away from the door sill at the rear and from under the front edge of the rear seat in the outer rear corner of the rear footwell.  If that's what you have, I'll bet your carpet is original (or made to the original pattern).  From the pictures, you car and carpet really look nice!  If the problem is as I described, try installing additional jute padding in the rear footwells to raise the floor (maybe even consider adding plywood 'spacers' under the carpet).  The idea is to raise the floor just enough to allow the edge of the carpet to tuck back under the sill plate, inner quarter trim panel and front edge of the rear seat, as originally intended.

Your plan will make it worse.  I created that same problem after I installed more padding.

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I can see your thought process. I will experiment with that idea to see if it helps. I have attached a better picture of the issue but yes, as you say it is 'under the front edge of the rear seat' that the main problem is.

Screenshot 2020-02-02 at 18.29.27.png

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

Well, more padding might be no better, but not any worse.  My idea is really to raise the floor about an inch so that there will be more carpet available at the edges where it's 'short ' now...

Ok, I see how that will work on a "step down" floor, but not work on a flat floor.

3 hours ago, gnatsum said:

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I can see your thought process. I will experiment with that idea to see if it helps. I have attached a better picture of the issue but yes, as you say it is 'under the front edge of the rear seat' that the main problem is.

Screenshot 2020-02-02 at 18.29.27.png

Chances are any replacement will wind up doing the same thing.  If you have not yet had the back seat bottom out, when you do get it out you will see that the seat does not come close enough to pinch the carpet between it and the floor.  Those areas you see are pretty much a common thing in this era.  You could try messaging it out but chances are it won't last.  The carpets in this era are loosely molded to the shape of the space.  So it's just something that owners had to live with.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Chances are any replacement will wind up doing the same thing.  If you have not yet had the back seat bottom out, when you do get it out you will see that the seat does not come close enough to pinch the carpet between it and the floor.  Those areas you see are pretty much a common thing in this era.  You could try messaging it out but chances are it won't last.  The carpets in this era are loosely molded to the shape of the space.  So it's just something that owners had to live with.  

Thanks man, that's really useful info. This is new for me, so sometimes it is hard to tell what is 'broken' and what is 'it was just like that back then', if you get what I mean 😅

I've had the rear seats out and know exactly what you mean. The carpet doesn't extend far enough and even if it did, as you say, the seats do not sit down enough or tight enough to pinch it.

I'll have a good think about it the next time she is out of storage and see if I can come up with a solution. Thanks again for your input guys, you're stars!

Edited by gnatsum (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2