91 won't start no crank

jmarti67

Ahh so, makes perfect sense. I never looked into the pass key system as never had an issue.🥵 That diagram includes the non-flashing security light too I see. So in theory, it should work with the passkey bypassed with a resistor?

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

So in theory, it should work with the passkey bypassed with a resistor?

I think that could be a possibility. The symptoms seem to point to that but I don't know much about a '91 model. I'm reluctant to speculate on what should be done next.  I think it would be wise to make sure all fuses and relays are good and rule out the P/N switch before doing anything drastic.

• Like 1

Was no change from 90 to 91 in the ignition/starter. Key on cranks-sputters-stops means the ignition is getting power from the starter but not the key. Can bypass the passkey with a resistor but it needs to be the right resistor (15 possibilities).

On 2/5/2020 at 11:21 AM, padgett said:

Was no change from 90 to 91 in the ignition/starter. Key on cranks-sputters-stops means the ignition is getting power from the starter but not the key. Can bypass the passkey with a resistor but it needs to be the right resistor (15 possibilities).

Original issue is when I turn the key there’s no crank no start - I put a push button to the starter solenoid and now it cranks sputters stalls. There’s no power getting to the starter. 

1 hour ago, jmarti67 said:

Original issue is when I turn the key there’s no crank no start - I put a push button to the starter solenoid and now it cranks sputters stalls. There’s no power getting to the starter. 

From the included diagram for the pass key, it not only prevents starter engagement, it also prevents cranking fuel enable. As Ronnie's comment states, the park-neutral switch is the last connection before the starter. Bypassing the starter seems like it should run unless that pass key is also stopping fueling. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...