Can 1933 vacuum wiper reliability be improved?

I guess the best way to keep a vacuum wiper system fully functional is to use it often.

Given these cars are not driven as regularly as they were eighty years ago, other than a dual-action fuel pump, has anyone added an electric vacuum pump and canister?

First off every time the car is run activate the wiper a few sweeps to keep it limber. A canister can be made out of a soup can or such to hold more vacuum. I have seen plans in one of the magazines. Maybe you can locate the article somehow. There are also diagrams showing how to oil the motors.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

I tried lubrication like my dad taught me years ago- squirting oil in vacuum inlet. Did no help. 

I tried removing it and rebuilding it with new eBay gaskets. Nope. 

I sent it in to the Wiperman (Ficken Wiper Service). It is like new. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drdon said:

I sent it in to the Wiperman (Ficken Wiper Service). It is like new. 

Yes, Bill rebuilt mine as well, almost twenty years ago. He's the one who advised to keep it working you just need to use it regularly.

He also indicated the lubricant he uses is specific to the vacuum wiper motor and no other lubricant should be introduced.

I guess it's time to do it again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Brad I had two motors and I sent them to Ficken, he told me they were warped and couldn't be repaired. So I have no wipers on my Rockne, plus I have no vacuum either. 

So I think I will look for some kind of electric motor I could attach. Two things I have never been able to get working on my 33, wipers and the King-Seely fuel gauge.

Tim, Bill Ficken did rebuild mine three decades ago. I guess it's time to do it again.

About your fuel gauge, if there are no breaches in the copper tube from the fuel sending unit to the hydrometric fuel gauge, perhaps the fluid in the gauge has just evaporated over a period of 87 years. Maybe you've already checked that . But it was a thought.

Edited by starlightcoupe (see edit history)

We have "Rain-X" in the US, and it will do the trick. I had my motor rebuilt by Melissa Klein last year, haven't used it much yet but it seems good so far!

Vacuum wipers in general probably aren't what you would expect if you have been using a car with electric wipers, but they work. I like Rain-X even when the wipers DO work.