Antenna removal for '52

Rusty Heaps

I need advice on removing a complete antenna assembly on a 1952 Special. The one on the project I have is gone and I have found a couple of decent ones for a driver in a junkyard and would hate to destroy one out of ignorance. Also are there significant differences from 1950 to 1953? I ask because of the years available in said junkyard.

If it's like my '51 Super, first remove the tiny set screw on the knob and pull it off. Then to come off is is a brass slotted retaining ring that needed a special GM tool to unscrew. I made one out of this red jack handle by simply grinding off material so that it left 2 protrusions that fit into this brass thing. Then just unscrew it and the whole assemble should wiggle free.

IMG_1333.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the jack handle idea! What type of set screw? Phillips, slot, or allen head? I ask because as some of you may know, it can be cumbersome to tote too many tools with you in a junkyard, so I am trying to keep it to a necessary minimum that will still get the task at hand accomplished. Many tasks for many parts. Wish me happy hunting!

Edited by Rusty Heaps (see edit history)

There may be what is called a fhanstock clip under the nut.   This is the clip that the wire going down to the radio clips to.  Also, convertibles and a couple of other models use a Knuckle that has a slightly different angle to it (the chrome part the ant mast fastens to)  That knuckle is not being reproduced.  Cars buys their ant parts from Bobs fyi 

Update. I was able to remove the nut on the antenna with a pair of lock ring pliers with the angled tips. Thanks for the info on the base knuckle differences, I'll have to do a test fit. The car I'm installing it on is a '52 Special coupe, the car it came off of is a '52 Special 2dr sedan..

• Like 1