Grandfathers Buicks and Cadillacs, 1924-1947

There were many more Buicks than existing photos. I've hopefully given them the correct years in the titles but please correct me if I'm wrong (except the 36 &,37s) A comment on the 1924 Buick in snow- he lived on a very steep one-way street, heading downward and with a curve in the middle. To get to his house there was another one-way street upward and extremely steep. I just can't imagine how he was able to drive up or down with those narrow tires, even with chains, and two-wheel brakes. As for the 1934 sedan, that car is beautiful. Years shown here are Buicks 1937, 36, 22, 24, 31, 34, 39, 47, and Cadillacs 1929, and 1941. If I were to add in my fathers, uncles, and my Buicks, we'd pretty much covered nearly all Buicks from 1924 to 1964.

Buick 7s.jpg

Buick 22s.jpg

Buick 24As.jpg

Buick 24Bs.jpg

Buick 24s.jpg

Buick 31s.jpg

Buick 34s.jpg

Buick 36 37s.jpg

Buick 36s.jpg

Buick 39Bs.jpg

Buick 47s.jpg

Cadillac 29s.jpg

Cadillac 41s.jpg

Edited by BuicksBuicks
error (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

What a great collection!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  The '34 and the '36 look particularly good -- I really like look of the blackwall tires, very few people would set those cars up like that now if they had them.  And the photo of your mother with the '29 Caddy (which you posted before) is a gem.

Thanks to all for the positive marks.

On the '39's I've seen them with and without the bullet lights on the top of the front fenders. Were these an option?  I had them on my '39 81F lino.  And, on the  posted '36's, there are "fender finder sticks",  whatever they are called, for learning drivers like my 17 year old uncle. I can only guess that my uncle was allowed to drive the '36 sedan but not the classy new '37 coupe at least until he was an experienced driver. That coupe would have been very out of place with my grandfather but I would have loved it.

I can only assume that these Buicks were Roadmasters or other high end models. Any comments? I'd love to know.

3 hours ago, BuicksBuicks said:

On the '39's I've seen them with and without the bullet lights on the top of the front fenders. Were these an option?  I had them on my '39 81F lino.  And, on the  posted '36's, there are "fender finder sticks",  whatever they are called, for learning drivers like my 17 year old uncle. I can only guess that my uncle was allowed to drive the '36 sedan but not the classy new '37 coupe at least until he was an experienced driver. That coupe would have been very out of place with my grandfather but I would have loved it.

I can only assume that these Buicks were Roadmasters or other high end models. Any comments? I'd love to know.

Yes.  Fender side lights on 1939's were an option. 

The 1939 is an 80 series (Roadmaster) or 90 series (Limited) as it has a 2 piece rear window.   Body shell a carry over from 1938.  Series 40 & 60 had a new for '39 body shell with a 1 piece rear window.  Unsure is side mounts were standard on series 90 or an option

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

On 12/27/2019 at 6:38 PM, NC1968Riviera said:

1947 Buick Super convertible at a 1969 car show in Stowe, Vermont. Image from a AUG69-dated Kodachrome slide in my personal collection.

1438155989_1947BuickSuperconvert-SEP69.thumb.jpg.0b14b67af9c879062d5f8c82864f70d0.jpg

In Vermont in 1969 with a New York license plate. That could be the car I drove to Fulton, New York that a trucker told me about. I drove to Fulton in 1967 to look at the car. It was a military officers car from either Mexico or New Mexico brought home upon his retirement. It was expensive at the time $1500 sticks in my mind, but it may have been $800, either one a lot. I had just bought a '60 Invicta for $600 in the spring of '66, a few weeks before High School graduation.

Bernie

• Like 1