Series 40,50,60,70 Buick (what does that mean)?

Selim

when I m buying parts I usually see this with part description , obviously it s indicating certain era of Buick , what is that?

my car is Buick super convertible 1949, so what series it is?

40 = Special

50 = Super

60 = Century

70 = Roadmaster

80 = Roadmaster (or Limited in 1940)

90 = Limited

Your Super convertible is a 56C (first digit is the series, second digit denotes number of doors, third digit is convertible). A Super coupe is 56 or 56S depending on whether it has a back seat. A Super sedan is 51. A Roadmaster sedan is 71. A Roadmaster convertible sedan is 71C. A Century convertible coupe is 66C. There are other variants and numbers, but that's the gist of it. Make sense?

Hope this helps!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2019 at 12:55 PM, Selim said:

when I m buying parts I usually see this with part description , obviously it s indicating certain era of Buick , what is that?

my car is Buick super convertible 1949, so what series it is?

The first thing to remember when you're buy parts is that if it fits a 40 or 50 series it won't fit a Series 60-7-80 or 90.  That's just the first cut though.  It may fit only something within the series.  If it fits a Series 41 (a Special sedan), it won't necessarily fit a Series 41-C which is a convertible sedan, an it definitely won't fit a  Series 46-S which is a sport coupe.  If it fits a 46-S, it it won't fita 56-S (Super Sport coupe), but it might, if it just says Model 56 (a Super business coupe).  Each designation starts with the basic (meah all models within the basic 40-50-60-70-80-90 Series and then spreads out across the models and then the designs within the models.

Series 40 is Special; Series 50 is Super (these two have the small straight 8). Series 60 is Century; Series 70 is Roadmaster 1940 forward, but 1939 backward to 1936 the Roadmaster was a Series 80 car.  In 1940 only there was a Series 80 baby Limited.  Series 90 was the big limousine model from 1936-1942.  Prior to 1936 the Series worked the same, but had no names, except I think the 1934-1935 Series 40 was actually called a Special.  Merry Christmas and I hope that helps you buy your parts.  The first part you should buy is a Genuine Buick Master Chassis Parts book.  It will list all the parts for your car if the book is not too new.  A good year for a parts book  that gives good coverage for, example, a 1936 Buick, would be 1947-1955, but not newer than 1960.  The book only lists parts still available when the book was published.

MATTER OF FACT, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FRIENDS ON THE WEBSITE

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dynaflash8 said:

The first thing to remember when you're buy parts is that if it fits a 40 or 50 series it won't fit a Series 60-7-80 or 90.  That's just the first cut though.  It may fit only something within the series.  If it fits a Series 41 (a Special sedan), it won't necessarily fit a Series 41-C which is a convertible sedan, an it definitely won't fit a  Series 46-S which is a sport coupe.  If it fits a 46-S, it it won't fita 56-S (Super Sport coupe), but it might, if it just says Model 56 (a Super business coupe).  Each designation starts with the basic (meah all models within the basic 40-50-60-70-80-90 Series and then spreads out across the models and then the designs within the models.

Series 40 is Special; Series 50 is Super (these two have the small straight 8). Series 60 is Century; Series 70 is Roadmaster 1940 forward, but 1939 backward to 1936 the Roadmaster was a Series 80 car.  In 1940 only there was a Series 80 baby Limited.  Series 90 was the big limousine model from 1936-1942.  Prior to 1936 the Series worked the same, but had no names, except I think the 1934-1935 Series 40 was actually called a Special.  Merry Christmas and I hope that helps you buy your parts.  The first part you should buy is a Genuine Buick Master Chassis Parts book.  It will list all the parts for your car if the book is not too new.  A good year for a parts book  that gives good coverage for, example, a 1936 Buick, would be 1947-1955, but not newer than 1960.  The book only lists parts still available when the book was published.

MATTER OF FACT, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FRIENDS ON THE WEBSITE

Marty I thought sure you were writing to tell me I'd screwed up something in my typing.  It was kind of hard to keep track of all the variances and keep typing with all that was going on on TV and questions from my wife, etc.  Hey have a great and joyous Christmas season.  I hope Dale is doing okay.  Your tires are waiting here for you come February.