WTB 1953 V8 dynaflow exhaust mount

You’re going to have to make the rubber piece no matter what. They have universal exhaust hangers at most auto parts stores that have six inch strips of rubber that you can cut to length and then bolt to the old metal pieces you already have. I have done this many times and I use a socket head stainless bolt to somewhat simulate a rivet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 5:13 AM, buick5563 said:

You’re going to have to make the rubber piece no matter what. They have universal exhaust hangers at most auto parts stores that have six inch strips of rubber that you can cut to length and then bolt to the old metal pieces you already have. I have done this many times and I use a socket head stainless bolt to somewhat simulate a rivet. 

Never say "never". I have a box of 40 new old stock rubber pieces, already cut to size and drilled with the two holes for Buick exhaust systems of these years. 

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

IMG_6615.JPG

Edited by Pete Phillips
Add photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It really looks like a fairly simple part to fabricate. Just need a pattern/sample for measurements. Is someone in the middle of a restoration process that might have one easy to measure? There is a ‘53 expert or two that frequent this site that might have access to one for measurements.

If my car was on the lift I would see what is there. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:01 AM, tompett said:

Yes, the 53 hanger is 1953 50-70 only, but the 54-55 will work also.

Not quite. Buick had a good reason for labeling them with different part numbers.

1-1953-1957.jpg.ec8c8f9f1ee67f97247d07f256fe73e3.jpg

You would need to change out the rubber strap. In addition, your 1954 hanger is incorrectly labeled. All 1954 Buick Series with D.F. transmissions used the same exhaust hanger part number.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

I know the parts are different - and have different part numbers. Not so easy to see in my picture, but if I had lined them up better you will se the DF-bracket is taller/higher in 53 and takes a longer strap to come down to fit the exhaust pipe. 1954-55 works for 1953, but is not correct.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, tompett said:

. . . but if I had lined them up better you will se the DF-bracket is taller/higher in 53 . . . 

Tom,

Doesn't matter. Unless the dimension from the centerline of the lower rivets in the rubber straps to the centerline of the bottom holes in both transmission's metal mounting brackets are the same, the hangers would not be interchangeable WITHOUT any modifications. Your picture shows . . . unless it's an optical illusion . . . that the hanger assembly on the right (1954-1955?) would lift the exhaust pipe higher than what a 1953 hanger assembly is supposed to do. Do you agree? Thanks.

2026845835_1-DFhangers(2)-001.jpg.6fa29b6c77289febaf72e259f6fa215d.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Al,

I am not able to take new pictures to prove this, sold the spare 54 mount. Here is a picture of the NOS 54 bracket that is mounted on my 53, don't want to pull it for picture.

Did not have to bend the exhaust pipe in any direction to make it fit  the hanger.

But I am looking for a correct 53 hanger with a better clamp that I have shown in first picture, just because I know it is not correct. 

TomP

IMG_3214.JPG

• 4 weeks later...