Pertronix in my 46 Dodge

Brooklyn Beer

Changing over to pertronix in my 46 Dodge which is still stock 6 volt positive ground.  Anything special I need to worry about not covered in the instructions? I hooked up the internal ground wire after removing points but the external ground off the distributor that used to go to coil +, should I connect that to + battery now instead?

20191129_081709.jpg

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)

I wouldn't do that unless you buy a second system for the jockey box.

Points systems work fine and are easier to deal with in case of a failure.

We have seen many pros and cons about those things and I for one wouldn't waste my time.

Done and done. Car never even did a full turn before it fired up. Adjust the timing about 4-5 degree's and we are back in business.  I had a hunch either the coil or the condenser was going out as twice in the past week she would just shut off but fire right back up after a minute of sitting.  Today she would not even fart or cough.  In goes the pertronix and she fired right off with no hesitation. Every vehicle made today has the same type of ignition so it can't be that bad.

I like Pertronix, but I have not had much success using them in 6-volt applications. Remember that as voltage goes down, current goes up, and it seems that the Pertronix has a very limited range in which it can remain operational. I suspect that the 6-volt Pertronix units are just their 12-volt units repackaged, which would explain why it works sometimes and sometimes fries itself instantly. Add in the notably irregular regulation of many early 6-volt electrical systems and I'm not surprised they have an above-average failure rate. The thing I always remember is that points and condenser will still work even in failure mode, while Pertronix will stop working in a split-second puff of smoke and permanently disable the car.

As I said, I like Pertronix in 12-volt applications where the regulation system is pretty good, but my success rate on 6-volt cars is low and I have retrofitted about a half-dozen Pertonix-equipped 6V cars after a no-start, no-run condition that we eventually traced to a fried unit. Not saying it always happens or will happen, but for us, that's a failure rate above 50%. It might work marginally better than points, but if the points ain't broke...

• Like 1

I had mine fire right away. Took it for a 6 m iles run and the timing still needs adjusted some as at 45 and giving her the coals she breaks up a little bit . Stupid me forget to try a hot restart to see which way the timing was off.  Never a problem in my 12 volt systems so taking a chance here.

The distributor can be easily removed for service.

Much easier to change points out on the bench.

Remember that adjusting the dwell will affect the timing, but adjusting the timing will not affect the dwell.

However these things will run fine with the thickness of a matchbook  points setting, thickness of a dime for plugs and timing by ear.

I tried gapping the plugs with two nickels once, didn't work.