1929 Chevrolet Help Please!!

Crazyfamily

While I’ve been a part of the Buick groups for a year and half I really haven’t frequented the Chevrolet groups!

I am trying to help a friend out who recently got his hands on a 1929 Chevrolet .  He doesn’t really mess with computer so I am trying to determine what model this is, when we google 1929 Chevrolet Coupe the pictures that come up seem to have a shorter body panel between the back of the doors and the back of the roof!

Also, any help identifying this Carter Carb and where I can find a rebuild kit for it?  Is there another carb that you fine folks have used to flip the intake and put on a more modern 40’s-50’s down draft carb?  

Someone gutted the vacuum pump and installed a electric fuel pump (it’s 12v) and a regulator.  I personally have a 1927 Buick that uses the original SW Vacuum Pump and carb that I am pleased with!  My buddy however just wants to drive this 1929 and doesn’t really care to get back to an original state at this time...... I know it’s a shame and maybe I’ll pry it from his hands soon for myself!

In the meantime I am here to try to tap into your knowledge and help a friend!

Any Info sure would be appreciated!

Regards,

Crazy-

61A48EF4-6F4E-4478-BCC4-054BF833917E.jpeg

7420C1F8-EEF1-4551-92D8-B3FB99335366.jpeg

48F1B505-B0A6-4B84-95C1-1B881EE786E5.jpeg

E90DE169-9650-493B-9E2F-8B03EC00D70E.jpeg

Your friend has a 1928 Chevrolet , not a 1929. The 1928 was the last of the 4-cylinder Chevies. The new 6-cylinder engine was introduced in 1929 along with completely restyled bodies. The 1929 was an entirely different car from the earlier models.

Don

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DLynskey said:

Your friend has a 1928 Chevrolet , not a 1929. The 1928 was the last of the 4-cylinder Chevies. The new 6-cylinder engine was introduced in 1929 along with completely restyled bodies. The 1929 was an entirely different car from the earlier models.

Don

Thanks for info Don, I asked him if he was sure it was a 1929 and he said he checked the title and it’s titled as a 1929?

it def is a 4 cyl no doubt about that!!

It might have been sold in 1929 and titled as a 1929 or I suspect many states didn't have titles at that time and it was dated based on what the owner thought it was. Either way it's definitely a 1928. Below is a photo I took years ago of a 1928 coupe.

731351032_Chevrolet1928Coupe.thumb.jpg.992c5708f152e5526632864f42750744.jpg

Someone has taken a lot of liberties on the one your friend has -- unauthentic bright red paint, painted radiator shell and bumpers, spare tire carrier removed, top material not installed correctly, missing the landau irons and trunk handle, modern seats and likely other items not as apparent. It might make a good driver and will be an interesting ride at the local cruise-in but will take a lot to restore it to original.

Don

• Like 1

That’s what I was thinking too regarding year Don.  Knowing standardized state to state probably didn’t exist back then!

yeah he paid $3500 for it and really doesn’t care about what’s authentic, he just wants to drive it and have a little fun.

Even in its current state I’d prob pay $3500 for it just to give it to my youngest Son to teach him about mechanics!  

Any idea what “more modern” down draft carb will fit that Intake if we flip it?

It should be good for that. The mechanics are simple to work with and parts are readily available. As you know from your Buicks , if you learn to drive a car with mechanical brakes and non-synchronized gears you can drive just about anything (well, except maybe a Model T Ford). I don't  know about the carburetor, but the guys on the VCCA forum will. Like this forum it's free and the members are very knowledgeable and eager to help.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/forums/20/1/1912-1928.html

Don

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carbking said:

It APPEARS to be a 1928 carburetor. There are identifying letters that will prove/disprove this. The 1928 Chevrolet carburetor would have either a "RAKXO" or a "C RAKXO".

If either, then we can furnish a rebuilding kit.

Jon.

I’ll get the info off the side after it comes out of the carb dip/soak!

2 hours ago, carbking said:

It APPEARS to be a 1928 carburetor. There are identifying letters that will prove/disprove this. The 1928 Chevrolet carburetor would have either a "RAKXO" or a "C RAKXO".

Jon.

Hello Jon,

yes Sir how do we go about ordering the rebuild kit from you?  Do you also have replacement bowls?  I found them online but if I can place one order that would be easier!

i look forward to hearing from you!

**someone has tried to “fix” the cracked bowl by using JB weld all over the inside bottom of the bowl!  Chucks were everywhere and lots of corrosion inside carb as well.  No doubt it won’t run well or allow anything more than a slow slight throttle due to jets being clogged plus it needs a new low pressure fuel regulator as well.

im going to do the carb clean and rebuild for him however he is going to get the fuel regulator himself..... 

11 hours ago, DLynskey said:

It should be good for that. The mechanics are simple to work with and parts are readily available. As you know from your Buicks , if you learn to drive a car with mechanical brakes and non-synchronized gears you can drive just about anything (well, except maybe a Model T Ford). I don't  know about the carburetor, but the guys on the VCCA forum will. Like this forum it's free and the members are very knowledgeable and eager to help.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/forums/20/1/1912-1928.html

Don

Thanks Don, I just joined the site.  Figured I might as well let your suggestion since who knows maybe my buddy will get tired of his new toy and want to give it away...... to me!

😂😂😂😂😉

5 hours ago, carbking said:

Jon.

Hello again Jon,

it appears its a RAKX-O, if you can get me set up for a rebuild kit that would be great!  Message me or post here?

758E5516-2328-4F51-A41A-3EBF2826A9E6.jpeg

Couple things on a 28’. First, the flex pipe on the carb inlet needs to be connected to the air filter intake can which is actually the down pipe at the rear of the exhaust. I can see the flex pipe but not if it’s connected to the exhaust. The 28’ is very prone to icing up the intake and the intake air needs to be warm to prevent the icing as the carb will not atomize the fuel well. The other thing is the 28’ has no provision for the overhead valve train to be oiled by the engine oil pump. Instead, there is normally a canvas covered felt pad that sits on top of the rocker arms and is oiled every time the car is run by putting some oil in the holes on the valve cover with a pump oil can. These engines normally have oil running down the sides of the engine. The engine in the pictures appears awfully clean which hints that possibly the top end is not getting oiled. I know of a instance where the owner of a 28’ complained his motor was always oily and he kept cleaning it. Then finally it stopped getting dirty. It wasn’t too much longer on one of his regular jaunts out to his vacation cabinthat the valve train seized up and ruined a perfectly running motor!  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chistech said:

Couple things on a 28’. First, the flex pipe on the carb inlet needs to be connected to the air filter intake can which is actually the down pipe at the rear of the exhaust. I can see the flex pipe but not if it’s connected to the exhaust. The 28’ is very prone to icing up the intake and the intake air needs to be warm to prevent the icing as the carb will not atomize the fuel well. The other thing is the 28’ has no provision for the overhead valve train to be oiled by the engine oil pump. Instead, there is normally a canvas covered felt pad that sits on top of the rocker arms and is oiled every time the car is run by putting some oil in the holes on the valve cover with a pump oil can. These engines normally have oil running down the sides of the engine. The engine in the pictures appears awfully clean which hints that possibly the top end is not getting oiled. I know of a instance where the owner of a 28’ complained his motor was always oily and he kept cleaning it. Then finally it stopped getting dirty. It wasn’t too much longer on one of his regular jaunts out to his vacation cabinthat the valve train seized up and ruined a perfectly running motor!  

Yeah I am familiar with the piling required but don’t think my friend is!  I will make sure he knows when I return his carb back to him after I rebuild it! 

He ordered all the parts yesterday for the rebuild so hopefully by next weekend we can get him driving at least!  Explained to him the list of suggested items to check off the “to do list” BEFORE he attempts to drive this car any further that was sent to me by Hugh back when we got our car a year and half ago!

Thanks for heads up on oiling the valve train!!  

Edited by Crazyfamily (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I need the help of God and YOU fine folks with this carb!!!

so I rebuilt the carb, and it is clean and I mean clean!  So put the carb on the car and car started right up.  Car will sit and idle and then like clock work it will start to stumble and then smooth out, almost like clockwork around every 20 seconds this happens.  

We readjusted they float per spec of 3/4 of an inch from the lip the bowl sits on, without the gasket per spec, and seems to smooth out a little.  I was thinking that the float adjustment was the issue originally!

Now that’s “a little” better however what should be the base initial adjustment to the air screw (when he got the car it was screwed all the way in) and the idle speed screw?

Seems that no matter where I adjust these it makes very little difference and when you rev the car up a little there is no consistency on the idle the car returns to.  One time you blip the throttle and it returns to a low smooth idle, next time you try it it lowers the idle speed slightly but is much higher than it was before we blip the throttle (sorry I am a bike guy and blip the throttle is a common term!😂)!

So what should the initial adjustment be and where am I going wrong?

C5086A4F-FAA0-418C-B997-A7F24C405BC7.jpeg

Part of what you are probably experiencing is the vacuum tank cycling. When the vacuum tank is drawing gas out of the gas tank it will run smooth. When the float in the vacuum cycles to release gas down to the carb it vents to atmosphere - and creates a small vacuum leak. Most applications it is a longer cycle than 20 seconds. On a 4 cylinder car it will be more noticable than a larger car because 6 and 8 cylinder engines are inherently smoother running. Also probably more noticable if the vacuum is low due to poor compression or other small leaks. To confirm this you can install a small piece of 3/8" clear refridgerator drain line in the vacuum tank inlet.  Doesn't have to be pretty it just needs to seal. You are not going to leave it there permanently.  Let us know what you find. Art

ok adjusting air screw per carb king as mentioned above doesn’t seem to help.  was wondering if anyone has a specific later model DOWN DRAFT carb that we could switch to and flip the intake over to use it?

ive heard of guys on the Buick Pre War Forum doing this with good luck but curious if anyone on the Chevy side has done so?

Before throwing rocks at the carburetor, insert a fuel pressure gauge right at the carburetor.

The $39.95 dial type inline pressure regulators available at the FLAPS regulate pressure by regulating volume. If your regulator is rated say 10 gal/hour and you have adjusted the dial to 1:

(A) At a flow rate of 10 gallons per hour (wide open throttle) the output pressure is probably about 1 psi.

(B) At a flow rate much less than 10 gallons per hour (idle) the output pressure probably is the same as the inlet pressure.

Test it with a pressure gauge. Then you know.

If you are going to use an electric pump, go to a "speed" or "race" shop, and buy an expensive regulator with an internal bypass. Holley, probably others as well, make a good one. Expect to spend at least a hundred dollars or more. But it will correctly regulate pressure at all flow rates.

As far as the idle returning to a specific RPM: when you rebuilt the carburetor, did you remove the throttle shaft and check for out of round? That carb is 90 years old, who knows how many miles are on it. The design clearance from throttle shaft to throttle body was 0.004~0.006 inches. An additional 0.003 inches wear (thus a total of 0.009 inches) is acceptable.

EDIT: as far as flipping the intake: acquire an intake-to-head gasket. Lay this gasket on a piece of cardboard larger than the gasket, and draw the complete INSIDE (the mounting holes and air/fuel holes) pattern on the cardboard. Flip the gasket. If ALL of the holes line up, then maybe you can flip the intake.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is a fellow near me with a model T and he put a 28 Chev head on it. He turned the manifold upside down so the outlet is turned up.  I think he is using a Solex off of a VW bug. Might be a little small on the venturi, I do not know. I don't think he runs it very fast so it might be fine. I think the VWs were 1200cc, off the top of my head I do not know how many ccs 171 cubic inches would be.

Edited by a sell
misspelled word (see edit history)
  • Like 1