Query ignition switch

Michael Bye

The 60 Buick starter was activated by flooring the gas pedal with the key on. There was a switch on the carburetor connected to the throttle that activated the starter. The switch also prevented the starter from engaging when the engine was running.1960 was the last year for this. Packard used a similar setup.

1 hour ago, misterc9 said:

The 60 Buick starter was activated by flooring the gas pedal with the key on.

Was the accelerator starter controll operation different in later years than in 1953?  There have been several threads lately about this system and it use.  One of them regarding flooding the engine and several others.  All replies talked about flooring the accelerator.  I had two 1953 Specials and the owners manual said to depress the accelerator pedal until the starter engaged.  It did not mention flooring the accelerator.  By the way the easiest way to prevent flooding was to slowly depress the pedal and then turn the key on.  If the engine did not start right away just turn the key off and then back on in a minute without moving the accelerator.

This is Buick Autostart, and you will probably find many threads if you look around. 1960 was the last year but it went back to the 30s for sure, maybe further. You push the pedal down until it cranks.

Flooring it would be to activate the "choke unloader" mechanism to clear a flooded engine. That part works the same as other brands of car without autostart.

The starter on a Buick would still activate when floored, just like it would if you just stepped on the gas to start normally.

6 hours ago, Michael Bye said:

I have just purchased a 1960 Buick Electra 225 Convertible.It has key ignition but the starter button is in the ash tray.I'm sure that this is not right.

Can anyone give me the correct way it should be.

Michael, if the '60 was the same as earlier Buicks, the starter switch was attached to the carburetor. It engaged as the accelerator pedal was depressed, probable the first half inch. NOT floored as some think. Often these become sticky and in operative.  A push button is the usual fix. Never heard of one in the ashtray.  Novel.  

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)