desoto exhaust manifold

2nevets

It’s been welded already. New failure is probably related to the repair.....at least in part. Fine a new one if possible. I would not weld it for any reason.....have it metal stitched if possible.

PS- It isn't home made..........aftermarket according to the above comments, yes. The casting is very, very well done. And it's complicated. I wouldn't have expected an aftermarket manifold for a Desoto........maybe it fits all Chrysler products? Before you jump........look into a stock carb/intake/exhaust set up.............once you TRY and make a repair, it's possible you could be out of luck. AND......one more time.......don't weld it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

The manifold is stock DeSoto with an adapter welded on. The adapter, made by GOTHA, turns it into a dual exhaust. A common hot rod part in the fifties, you used to see them advertised in car magazines. You can see where it was welded on and you may be right, it could be that this modification led to the cracking.

• Thanks 1

The original factory castings would have been engineered to transfer the stresses of heat and vibration (and perhaps poor bolting up to block) gradually at the exhaust pipe joint including the large tapered intersection (which is also likely thicker as well). The welded on one has no similar "engineering" and any poor alignment, vibration, or overheating, including during the welding process) could result in cracking. I would not trust a re-weld or stitch weld process because the engineering of the intersection is weak, not to mention getting the face of the flanges in perfect alignment would be tough to achieve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1