P2 numbers

vette-kid

That is a manufacturer's plate and has the company name imprinted on it. They are being reproduced. Similar to this Dodge Brothers plate....https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-UNDER-HOOD-DATA-PLATE-ID-TAG-ZINC-1931-1948/181565067699?hash=item2a461f11b3:g:HzcAAOxy4dNSz8bD

plate.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, vette-kid said:

And what is the tag above the body number supposed to be?

Wet it with penetrating oil or something and wipe off, gently. Look at it under variable directions of light and you will see what it says, roughly. In 1930 they were printed or screen printed or something on tin plated steel and punched out - on mine, you can feel the ridge around the back from the punching die. 

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The body number is simply that, the number the body was given when it was built. I don't know if there is any info on the body numbers or not. Does that say B05 or 805? That sounds like it could be a paint code number, but maybe not. You might also see some numbers stamped on the right upper firewall. This number was probably a tracking number for the body manufacturer, most likely Briggs. The serial number is the important one and that should be stamped on a thin tag riveted to the right side "A' pillar. This is the number that should be on your title and the number that was used by Chrysler corp. to identify your vehicle. The serial number may or may not be stamped on the frame, if it is it may not be very visible. You may look on the outer frame rails on the rise just before the rear wheels on either side, if it's like the Dodges. I could never find one on my car. The number on the radiator may only be the number for tank or a production number for the part. I don't know if Chrysler actually stamped any of the real part numbers on any parts. I have one rear fender that has a number stamped on the outer mounting flange.Like Keiser said, new plates are available but they don't have the numbers stamped on them. I believe LeVine Restorations has the rights to those now.

• Like 1