defroster fan on steering column

Bill Stewart

Most likely a Trico brand vacuum fan. There are several listed on ebay both the rubber type and the caged type which has a metal fan. Sometimes parts and pieces are listed. Or take yours apart and make new rubber blades and reassemble. Personally, I bought the caged type for my `36 40series coupe.

I use liquid polyurethane rubber to make some parts for real orphan cars we get in the shop. It is the same rubber used in motor mounts so it is tough. If your blade is complete or can be temporarily patched you can spray it with mold release (Pam cooking oil) and use it as a pattern to make a plaster of paris mold. For the center hole you can spray mold release on a wooden dowl or wrap a layer of Saran wrap around it or you can put the new blade on dry ice and then turn or mill it. The latter would be tricky on something with very thin edges where a slight bump could break them when frozen. A search on "liquid polyurethane rubber" will give sources and mold techniques.

Edited by mcdarrunt (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My '37 had this fan attached to the column.  I haven't taken it apart yet to clean and repaint.  It's on my list of things to-do.

If you need to use it to create a pattern  (that is, of course, if this is the correct fan you need), let me know and I can send it to you.

IMG_7249.JPG.2BB1117E62C8FDBB8278608574C32165.thumb.jpeg.b0b29ef47c309f4c827e3a837eaeeaa8.jpeg

Gary

9 minutes ago, Ben Perfitt said:

This is what I had in a box of junk. It got mixed into a box that was supposed to be for 1918 Buick parts. Obviously it isn’t. Don’t know a thing about it other than it has rubber blades and has been in that box for at least 50 years.

FBEDA2AB-7D97-4517-80DB-B5612DDE46AC.jpeg

Great "air conditioner" for the period.