Help!! Need help identifying this item

holdmchmp

Thanks for the response Terry. There appears to be no threads on the inside. But there does appear to be too brackets that look like it might have held what you said a temperature gauge. I looked online for a few hours and didn't find anything that looked like it. So I'm wondering how early it is

Definitely an aftermarket, flip-top radiator cap for a 1920s vehicle. Parts are missing. Here is a similar item with all of the parts attached....the round item is a Moto-Meter and will show a rise in temperature through the little hole like a thermometer....

IMG_5872 (2).JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, holdmchmp said:

Thanks for the response. Agreed parts are missing. What makes you say after market? How can you tell? Thanks!!

Aftermarket as it has no auto maker name on it. I collect these and have seen a lot of them to know it is one that was sold as an accessory. Not a car maker, factory part.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, holdmchmp said:

Ah ok. My son thought there may have been a badge that was there at ome time. 

Are these of any worth?

In that condition, it’s good for the story on how you found it and to put it on a shelf.

• Like 1

Some of those after-market caps had a simple way to fit and attach an adapter to work on any of several different makes of cars. Threading could be either internal or external, and thread count and diameter varied from marque to marque.

A top piece and latch catch could be made, but costly enough to make this not expensive value wise. Wing size and styles varied, many dozens of different styles were marketed back in the day. That is a nice style!