GM Duramax Lawsuit

Robert G. Smits

If you are towing with a 2011-2016 Duramax you may wish to check out the recent class action lawsuit filed against GM for reportedly selling diesel trucks that were not designed for US diesel fuel resulting in the high pressure injection pumps (cp4) extruding metal shavings into the fuel system.  The previously used cp3 was designed for US fuel while the cp4 was allegedly designed for European diesel.  As with all class action suites I do not know if the claims are valid or if this is BS.  I do know that as the fuel rail pressure goes up there have been an increasing number of engine failures.  Ford went to the cp4 with the 6.7 engine while Ram didn't use the cp4 until 2019.  Ford and Ram may be less susceptible as they use a in tank lift pump.  If interested  you can find the article by Artie Maupin on dieselarmy.com

I'm surprised that GM didn't issue a service bulletin to cover their butts like they did with the 2007 Tahoe. 

When the motors started using oil...  at 75,000 miles, GM issued a bulletin saying it was SUPPOSED to use 1.5 quarts of oil between changes. 

I was asked to join a class action suit. I gave the Tahoe LTX away. My friend put a motor in his 07 Avalanche. He couldn't keep oil in it.

When the "gas saving" mode kicked in. The same cylinders would drop out. 

Hot, cold. Hot, cold. Hot, cold. The piston rings couldn't stand it.

Thanks, GM. My whole family drives Toyotas.

Bill H

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

If you are towing with a 2011-2016 Duramax you may wish to check out the recent class action lawsuit filed against GM for reportedly selling diesel trucks that were not designed for US diesel fuel resulting in the high pressure injection pumps (cp4) extruding metal shavings into the fuel system.  The previously used cp3 was designed for US fuel while the cp4 was allegedly designed for European diesel.  As with all class action suites I do not know if the claims are valid or if this is BS.  I do know that as the fuel rail pressure goes up there have been an increasing number of engine failures.  Ford went to the cp4 with the 6.7 engine while Ram didn't use the cp4 until 2019.  Ford and Ram may be less susceptible as they use a in tank lift pump.  If interested  you can find the article by Artie Maupin on dieselarmy.com

I was in on this when it first started about 2 years ago,. It was explained to me that it was an emission problem similar to the VW Diesel suit.

1 hour ago, Bill Harmatuk said:

GM issued a bulletin saying it was SUPPOSED to use 1.5 quarts of oil between changes. 

I hate this.

I worked for GM during this period and it's true.

Pretty hard to stand by the General when he sends down an edict like that one.

2 hours ago, Bill Harmatuk said:

GM issued a bulletin saying it was SUPPOSED to use 1.5 quarts of oil between changes. 

Missing the important data of how many miles between oil changes.

I have driven old cars most of my life, so back 30 years ago, 500 miles per quart was GOOD for my cars! My original 50 Studebaker with a zillion miles only got 50 miles to the quart of 40 wt non detergent. Still drove it, but it didn't cost me $50K either!😲

My GM cars from the 90s have oil change lights, so they always needs oil between changes that are 6 to 8 k miles apart.

But my  2015 Buicks do not need oil between changes, so I do know what you mean with new cars......😉     It's not 1965 anymore.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, John348 said:

It was explained to me that it was an emission problem similar to the VW Diesel suit

As I understand it this has nothing to do with emissions.  This has to do with the pump that produces fuel pressure extruding metal shavings into the fuel system after the fuel has passed through the fuel filter and causing catastrophic engine failure.  GM is no stranger to Diesel problems to those of us old enough to remember the GM/Oldsmobile 5.7  Diesel.

3 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

As I understand it this has nothing to do with emissions.  This has to do with the pump that produces fuel pressure extruding metal shavings into the fuel system after the fuel has passed through the fuel filter and causing catastrophic engine failure.  GM is no stranger to Diesel problems to those of us old enough to remember the GM/Oldsmobile 5.7  Diesel.

Maybe there are two different suits? The Law Firm was specific that it was about the same software problem that VW had, who also uses Bosch Injection systems on their diesels. They had called me and spoke with me about it. I sold mine about a year and half ago and they told me that I was off the plaintiff list. 

26 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

There are two suits, the one you mention Robert is a new one

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/gm-diesel-lawsuit-duramax-emissions.shtml

10 minutes ago, John348 said:

There are two suits, the one you mention Robert is a new one

Thanks for the clarification.  Thankfully my Duramax is a 2007.  It went into "Limp Home Mode" 20 miles outside of Oklahome City on my way to the 15 Glidden.  Was running again in three days thanks to a  $1800 infusion.  On my way to the 2017 Glidden in Hastings I blew a  turbo in Fort Worth and not one dealership in Texas had one in stock so it took five days to get it repaired and we missed the tour.  So much for reliability.  I have many friends who have had no problems.  I think I got a lemon!!!

30 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Thanks for the clarification.  Thankfully my Duramax is a 2007.  It went into "Limp Home Mode" 20 miles outside of Oklahome City on my way to the 15 Glidden.  Was running again in three days thanks to a  $1800 infusion.  On my way to the 2017 Glidden in Hastings I blew a  turbo in Fort Worth and not one dealership in Texas had one in stock so it took five days to get it repaired and we missed the tour.  So much for reliability.  I have many friends who have had no problems.  I think I got a lemon!!!

Sorry to hear that, this is my third 2500, and second Duramax, and never had any problems other then the power seat

I just read some of the claims on the fuel suit, how do the metal shavings get past the fuel injector nozzles to destroy the cylinders and the engine? 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

old enough to remember the GM/Oldsmobile 5.7  Diesel.

Well, of all the issues with these engines ( I own two), metal shavings and incompatible fuel was not an issue. The issue on the Stanadyne pump was a coupling that wore out, A more robust coupling was available to make them last way longer than original. I still have two of these modified Stanadyne pumps.

9 hours ago, John348 said:

The Law Firm was specific that it was about the same software problem that VW had, who also uses Bosch Injection systems on their diesels.

I have not heard about GM being involved with an emission issue. Fiat/Chrysler IS involved! Been reading about it in the local paper. Same idea, Fiat/Chrysler diesels pass emission while the DLC connector is busy, then when the DLC connector is unplugged, it goes back to worse emissions but better performance, just like VW.

How about this one?

May 25, 2017 — A GM Duramax diesel emissions lawsuit has been filed for owners and lessees of 2011-2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax and GMC Sierra Duramax diesel trucks that allegedly emit too much nitrogen oxides.

The General Motors lawsuit alleges the automaker rigged the trucks to pass emissions tests while emitting illegal nitrogen oxide levels on the roads.

In addition to GM, the Duramax lawsuit names parts manufacturer Bosch as a defendant that allegedly worked with GM in manufacturing the electronic diesel control units that allowed GM to activate the defeat devices. The lawsuit against Bosch will be nothing new to the company after the supplier was punished for jumping into bed with Volkswagen.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/gm-duramax-diesel-emissions-lawsuit.shtml

August 4, 2018 — A GM diesel lawsuit claims Duramax engines are equipped with emissions defeat devices in 2011-2016 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks.

The original Duramax diesel lawsuit was filed in 2017 by plaintiff Andrei Fenner against General Motors and the Robert Bosch company, then consolidated with another class-action called Carrie Mizell et al. v. General Motors LLC, et al., with the consolidated action titled In Re: Duramax Diesel Litigation.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/gm-diesel-lawsuit-duramax-emissions.shtml

Each Plaintiff bought a Silverado or Sierra 2500 or 3500 diesel vehicle with a model year between 2011 and 2016. Con. Am. Compl. at 1, ECF No. 18. Some Plaintiffs bought new vehicles and others bought used vehicles, but each purchased their vehicle from an authorized GM dealer. See, e.g., id. at 14. The vehicles which Plaintiffs identify all contain a "Duramax" diesel engine. Id. at 1. Plaintiffs' allegations center on the emissions reduction technology associated with that engine. 1 Bosch has joined in both the motion and GM's reply brief in support of the motion. ECF Nos. 67, 74. 2 Those states are Arizona, Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, and Texas. -2- Case 1:17-cv-11661-TLL-PTM ECF No. 76 filed 08/01/18 PageID.4643 Page 3 of 32 A. According to Plaintiffs, GM represented the Duramax engine as providing both low emissions and high performance. Id.3 Plaintiffs (in unsourced quotations) contend that GM boasted that the Duramax engine constituted a "'remarkable reduction of diesel emissions'" compared to the engine previously used in its Silverado and Sierra vehicles. Id. Those representations were false. Plaintiffs allege that scientifically valid emissions testing has revealed that the Silverado and Sierra 2500 and 3500 models emit levels of NOx many times higher than (i) their gasoline counterparts, (ii) what a reasonable consumer would expect, (iii) what GM had advertised, (iv) the Environmental Protection Agency's maximum standards, and (v) the levels set for the vehicles to obtain a certificate of compliance that allows them to be sold in the United States. Id.4 In other words, the Duramax engine does not actually combine high power and low emissions as GM suggested: "[T]he vehicles' promised power, fuel economy, and efficiency is obtained only by turning off or turning down emissions controls when the software in these vehicles senses they are not in an emissions testing environment." Id. at 1â2. The Duramax engine allegedly achieves this feat by employing "defeat devices." Id. at 2. As Plaintiffs define that term, "[a] defeat device means an auxiliary emissions control device that reduces the effectiveness of the emission control system under conditions which may reasonably be expected to be encountered in normal vehicle operation and use." Id. The Duramax engine allegedly contains three such devices. Defeat Device No. 1 "reduces or derates the emissions 3 This purported achievement would be particularly noteworthy because diesel engines "have an inherent trade-off between power, fuel efficiency, and emissions: the greater the power and fuel efficiency, the dirtier and more harmful the emissions." 

A preliminary ruling

https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20180801h27

Plaintiffs' argument carries some force: they allege that GM purposefully designed the engine to operate in a deceptive way, thus depriving consumers of certain functionality which they believed they were paying for. The alleged "defeat devices" are not a defect in the engine because they were designed and purposefully included. It is thus counterintuitive to find that Plaintiffs can sue only under a products liability statute. Such claims typically involve unintentional imperfections in a product, not engineering successes.