Where to start getting an original tube radio to work.

JamesR

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 12:39 AM, JamesR said:

'61 Monterey

I had one several years ago which also had a radio that didn't work. I checked out the ads in Hemmings and shipped it to a guy in upstate NY and he fixed it and shipped it back about a month later. I believe it cost about $200 plus shipping but I'm not sure. Sorry I don't remember his name but anyone who has been advertising in Hemmings for 20 or 30 years or more is probably honest and reliable. Good luck....

How's the grille on yours? My car came with an extra grille which has been hanging on a nail in my garage for several years. It's in good shape so let me know if you need one....

PICT0001_11.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

My 1953 radio worked for bit, then died. I heard it fade off quietly one time when I was driving. Sounded like a dying tube to me. I took a chance,  I took part of it out and replaced all tubes. The old tubes used in these old car radios, I found them pretty cheap.

http://www.tubesandmore.com  I reviewed the schematic that was glued to the housing. I ordered all the e-caps and replaced them all then reassembled.

My radio works again. There is only 1 AM station around here. It's ok once you hit your late 40's and up. However, there are two major components to my radio. There is the amplifier that is attached to the speaker. That is that part I rebuilt. Then separately there is the tuner/head with controls. The main radio in the dash. I did not take it apart. It seems to work, however something crackles once in a while. I figure I will get in there too at some point. For now, I enjoy it during every drive.

This is the stock pic, before I replaced all the caps seen The Brown wax covered one, the paper covered one, and the black one on the left.

Radio.JPG

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)