Unknown 60's Ford Keys

Craig Gillingham

Hey Craig,

If memory serves, Ford switched to that reversible key design in 1967. The slightly larger and odd shaped head and crest makes me think these keys would have been for a Galaxie platform car from the late '60's/early '70's era. Pick up trucks and most other Fords of this era used the square head like this uncut blank:

ford key.jpg

I am guessing late 60s also. I do not recall seeing key heads like that, although the business end of those keys, and the cylinder, are indeed American Ford from the late 60s forward.

I have a 1970 Mercury Marauder. Does that qualify as a "Galaxie Platform" car? It has a Galaxie chassis. I have the original keys, and they look like GregLaR's picture.

I am guessing your keys must be earlier, and probably before the lock cylinder moved to the steering column. It is in the column on the 1970 Marauder.

The code on that little aluminum tag is going to be a number that would allow a dealer to make a matching key on his little key punch. It wont tell you anything about what sort of American Ford the key goes to.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Yup, one of Ford's better ideas, double cut reversable keys.

First introduced on 1965 full size Fords and Mercurys. Older bodies like Mustang, Falcon Comet retained single edge keys until their next major body change. Aside from the decoration on the head they interchange well into the 1980s. 

There is only one set of tumblers so to function they actually only need to be cut on one side. There were some applications where the door key was coded different from the ignition and in those cases you can cut the two different combinations onto one key and as long as you have the correct side 'up' you can use it in two places. 

The trunk and door/ignition keys have their offset areas reversed so that a trunk key wont fit into the door and vice versa. 

• Like 1

We had a 69 mustang, 72 Grand Torino, 72 Mercury Marquis and 69 Ford wagon,  too many keys to carry.

had Mustang share two keys with Grand Torino,  same for Mercury and Wagon.

Just had to turn key over to open or start each car.

It was Very handy, can not do it now. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, m-mman said:

There is only one set of tumblers so to function they actually only need to be cut on one side. There were some applications where the door key was coded different from the ignition and in those cases you can cut the two different combinations onto one key and as long as you have the correct side 'up' you can use it in two places. 

Learn something new every day.