WANTED: Roadster Top Saddles for '29 Plymouth Roadster

• 4 weeks later...

Try emailing Marge Verdones.  I bought a repro set from her in 2012 in stainless steel for my 30U.  I do not know if the '29 is the same, but probably is.  I do not know Marge's status or if she's still making them or not, but worth an email.   verdones@evenlink.com

-Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi Narve, I own a 1929 Chrysler model 75 roadster. Do you know if they are the same of model 65. My car has all top rest bars, but with no clip on support I can see on the botton left of your picture. Do you have A picture of complete set in the car? Do you sell just the clipon saddle? How do they fit to the bars? Tks, Julio

Julio,

the saddles goes with the bars that have holes in them and are fastened with a screw from below. Used on the two outer top rest bars. I bought these from Verdones, but question whether they make any sense on a Series 65 and did my second restoration without them. The Series 75 bars I believe are shorter than the Series 65?

Thanks, Narve.

Do you have the contact from the seller? I am interested to buy a pair of saddles, my car outer bars have those holes. Model 75 bars may be shorter due to that additional front lid the rumble seat has, but based on your picture they seem to be very similar.

Thanks,

Julio Albernaz

Chrysler-Frib-Teres-25122019.jpg

On 9/27/2019 at 8:48 PM, hursst said:

Try emailing Marge Verdones.  I bought a repro set from her in 2012 in stainless steel for my 30U.  I do not know if the '29 is the same, but probably is.  I do not know Marge's status or if she's still making them or not, but worth an email.   verdones@evenlink.com

-Chris

I tried the email above, but it was rejected by the server, do you have other contact info for her? I would like to buy a pair of saddles for my Chrysler 75. Thanks, Julio

Julio,

That's what I was afraid of.  I googled Marge's name to research this a little further, and unfortunately, I found an obituary, Marge passed away in 2015.  I think your next step is to go to and register at http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/

This is an excellent forum with a core group of guys who have '28-'32 Plymouths.  You can ask on the forum what became of Marge's business and if someone else took up making the saddle tops or not.

Good Luck,

Chris

I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up, but I do have a mold for one of these. I bought it on eBay several years ago and haven’t had the time to have it checked out yet. It looks to be well made and the seller stated that it had been used to reproduce the saddles. The mold will need to be checked by a foundry to see if it is useable and if/how much shrinkage was allowed for. It did come with one original saddle the was used to make the mold, so I can have a sample made to see how close it is to the original. It is currently boxed up in sitting in storage. I don’t expect to get it out until April at the earliest, but it is in my list of things to do. I will update when I do have it back in hand.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2019 at 7:28 PM, Narve N said:

739615218_29ChryTopRestBars(2).thumb.jpg.c3b2b7de49f453c47676d2b656ccb432.jpg

These are leftovers from my two-car restoration: I believe I paid $80 for each saddle plus shipping back in 2009 when Verdone's still was in business, and $75 pr bar from  another source. Most of the bars I now have are cast in bronze then machined and chromed afterwards. I had them made in the UK and I believe they are an even better size match than the stainless ones I first bought as we took shrinkage into consideration when making them. All bars have 8 1/2" inch mounting hole spacing, which is different from some of the Mopars in era.

I will offer for sale a set with two saddles and two inner (no holes) and two outer bars (with holes, two alternative hole locations your choice) and try to sell that as a package. To recoup my outlay I would require USD 450 for the package, plus shipping (that likely is a lot abroad, I can check). May also be able to arrange for someone to bring with them to the US and ship domestically.

I can also sell any of the three aluminum bars to the lower right for USD 25 a piece, they were deemed non-doable by my chroming company. Or USD 60 for the single stainless bar or any of the left-over chromed bars with saddle mounting holes

Edited by Narve N
Added information (see edit history)