3800 engine swap

Buick Regal GS

Have a question on judging, my 1990 Regal GS had a bad rod making a loud noise. The first engine shop i i took it to had the the car for 3 months never touched it short of help. The next shop i took it to said its a bad rod so they changed the motor said its a new engine 0 miles on it. My question is now that it has a new engine how do the entry form for the next years Buick meet. Since its not a matching engine numbers car what category do i put in in? 

I do not recall any requirement to check engine or other numbers.  But if you wanted to go for Archival status you would disclose that the engine was replaced and that would cause a loss of points. 

Not having read the ARchival rules/specs, what if I purchase a vehicle which looks "intact" in all respects.  Right down to the clocking/style of the hose clamps, engine paint, and such.  I enter it in Archival as a result.  I don't know the prior history of the car.  I might not have asked the seller or they might not have known.  What happens then? 

Or if the orig engine had a failure which required serious repair?  Even a serious repair under the OEM warranty?  With a shop that used a "close match" paint for the rebuilt orig engine, to make it look nicer?  Or radiator hoses were replaced, which had a different style of hose clamp, but correct in all other aspects?

On the other hand, IF there was a concern for possible "points loss" due to a repair, why was this not addressed with the repair shops?  Such that "repair" rather than "replace at their discretion" issues were discussed?  To me, the engine should have been repairable, using the orig block, but with a new/reman crank kit "guts".  But that would possibly have led to many other issues, as a result.  In this case, "full disclosure" would be an "honor situation", to me.  What if the transaxle was replaced with a GM Reman unit, prior to the time I might have purchased the used car?

Obviously, if the vehicle had been modified (i.e., a non-GS with an added OEM supercharger, and all that makes it correct), then it could not be Archival.  Which a quick VIN decode would reveal.  How "deep" should these investigations/qualifications get?  What "nits" need picking and which ones don't?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467 

Unless there has been a program change for archival, it is up to the owner to reveal what has been changed on the car. The judges will also look to see what may have been changed and was not reported. But I do not believe they get into engine #s depth. 

If the motor has been changed and you don't know it, then you go with what you know. 

And as far as I remember, in 400 pt judging there  is no point loss for a different engine of the same basis of what was original. For example a '56 engine replaced with another '56 Buick engine is not a deduction.  But this rule should be verified in case that has changed.

To be Archival or 400 point,  it must be original.   In my mind original could be a original replacement.    Example in Archival some of the car can be repainted.

In my opinion,  if the engine is replaced with the same "look alike" engine (we do not check part numbers)  what judges will catch are the wrong air cleaner,  engine controls, plug wires,  etc.

So the engine parts that are attached to the engine are most likely to be noticed if they are not for the correct year and model.

In the case of your 1990 GS..... it had the 3800 "C" engine that was made between 1988 - 1990....... 1991 the 3800 was an "L" engine and the intake was completely different and would be noticed.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

ok got the car back last week ,the shop put in a new small block v6 3800 runs great going for 200 mile oil change to check oil been driving every day sure missed this car the past year drives great for 29 yrs old ,cant wait till Strongsville 2020

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1