RPM setting

Summershandy

Check out this neat unit I found at a garage sale cheap cheap. Original sticker price $219.95. I also picked up a timing gun. Both are in mint shape. Came from an old retired mechanic. I've since used the gun but I noticed this is only for 12 and 24 volt systems. Will I be able to get a correct RPM setting from this unit still even though I've got a 6 volt system?  I would typically go by ear but my setting is 365 - 385 so it's pretty low and I'm unsure what that really sounds like.  

IMG_7923.JPG

How is the unit powered? If it's reading RPM through an inductive lead on a spark plug wire, I see no reason why it wouldn't work on 6V as well. If it uses the battery to power the whole unit, however, it might not work although you could hook it up to a 12V battery and perhaps still use it to test the 6V car. If it plugs into 110 wall outlet, then you should have no problems at all beyond the fact that the spark might not be powerful enough to trigger an inductive reading through modern spark plug wires.

I used to work for an automotive diagnostic tool manufacturer (Actron) and one day they asked me to bring in my father's 1925 Buick so they could see if their various tools would work on 6 volts. Most of the timing lights had no problem with 6V, one of the tachometers worked, and several others that the engineers figured would never work actually did, although you probably don't need an O2 sensor tester on a 6V car. They just tested everything. The funny thing was that they didn't seem to really know what would work, they had to find out by hands-on testing.

The other cool thing was that they had a dyno test cell and I got to put the '25 Buick on the dyno. A ripping 41 horsepower at the rear wheels at 3000 RPM! I'm sure I still have the charts somewhere.

So hook it up and find out--you probably can't hurt it.

Nice finds.

I have a similar multi-meter that uses 12 volt power, but I only work on 6 volt cars. As Matt said, it'll work off any 12 volt supply and all the meter test readings for 6 volt are then fine. Reads voltage, ohms, dwell, spark KV, generator output & starter amps draw, engine speed -  mostly with inductive pickups, so voltage of what your testing doesn't matter to it.

I use a  6/12 volt battery charger set to 12 volts when in the shop.   When I want to go for a road test, I use a bunch of flash light batteries in a rolled up paper tube with rubber bands to hold it all together. There's a storage compartment in the back for all the test cables. I put the paper roll "battery pack" in there. Then I can place the meter on the front passenger seat and check readings as I drive.

My 1970's Sears Craftsman timing light doesn't care if it's powered by 6 or 12volts, the strobe light is just as bright. 

BTW, you can use timing lights not just for timing, but for what I call a poorman's oscilloscope. Clip the inductive pickup on at each spark plug wire in turn and watch the flashes. Each flash timing should be an even rhythm. If it skips a flash you have a misfire with the wire/plug. If you see some wires have double flashes, then there are shorts in the cap or from another wire, or inductive cross firing from wires being close in the wire loom.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Last week I bought a lithium ion booster battery. It's about 7 x 3 x 1 1/2 inches and weighs between 1 and 2 pounds. It would be great for powering 12 volt diagnostic tools to use on a 6 volt car. It has USB ports on it for charging cell phones, lap tops etc. And of course, it will jump start your car too.

1 hour ago, PFitz said:

I use a  6/12 volt battery charger set to 12 volts when in the shop.

I was going to ask as I do not have a spare 12 volt battery kicking around. I remember in shops I built an 8 track stereo wooden cabinet that ran off a battery charger. Guess dad knew that worked. I thought that was a neat idea! 

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Last week I bought a lithium ion booster battery. It's about 7 x 3 x 1 1/2 inches and weighs between 1 and 2 pounds. It would be great for powering 12 volt diagnostic tools to use on a 6 volt car. It has USB ports on it for charging cell phones, lap tops etc. And of course, it will jump start your car too.

Not to highjack the thread, but a bit of a warning. I had one of those emergency Lithium Ion booster/charging kits. A present from the Stepson last Christmas. Last seen it was out on his front lawn smoking away where I threw it to get it out of the garage. We tried to use it to boost start his 6 volt 1926 touring. The  red light on it started flashing and it got so hot it started smoking. And, it kept blinking and smoking for about ten minutes. Nothing in the directions about not using it for 6 volt starter use, but I suspect it is only happy with 12 volts. No harm to the car, but I felt real bad for the Stepson.  

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Summershandy said:

I was going to ask as I do not have a spare 12 volt battery kicking around. I remember in shops I built an 8 track stereo wooden cabinet that ran off a battery charger. Guess dad knew that worked. I thought that was a neat idea! 

Works fine. Just make sure the clip-on leads don't touch each other, or the ground, while your busy working on the car.

Paul  

I use a 7mah sealed 12V battery, most frequently used as backup for home alarm systems, gate openers, and for Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS), to power an old GPS that's easily moved from car to car, AND to power 12V test equipment.  A Duracell brand, longest-lived, was $37 at Batteries Plus, but I've also bought them at Tractor Supply (house brand).  Small, non-spill (sealed) features make it indispensable.

Well, strangely enough I couldn't get the unit to work off a 12 volt battery charger. So for fun I hooked it up to the existing 6 volt battery. Seems to have enough juice to run it. I set the idle and it was around where I thought it should be anyway just under 400 RPM's.