Can original rims be straightened?

marcapra

I have the original rims for my car, a 48 DeSoto.  Over the decades the rims have picked up a few dents but are still functioning.  They require a lot of weights though to balance them.  Can a body shop straighten out bent rims so that they are like new?  On the other hand, are there original type rims, such as NOS stock rims being sold?  Thanks, Marc.

Have you measured the axial and radial variances?  Balancing is one thing, but straightening is another.  I've got a set of wheels which replacements are hard to find.  The axial bend is about 1/4 inch on the worst wheel and will give a wobble even if the tire is balanced.  I've tried mounting the tire on an old chassis and used jacks to force the wheel against the bend to no avail.  I'm not sure how a radial bend could be fixed but suspect that type of bend can be balanced out by the tire shape.

I've had one guy tell me that he would heat the rim and use a sledge hammer to fix the axial bend - thanks but no thanks.  I've also talked to wheel shops but there specialty is alloy wheels.  Good luck with your venture, please post your solution, the above accounts for my dead ends.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:49 AM, marcapra said:

I have the original rims for my car, a 48 DeSoto.  Over the decades the rims have picked up a few dents but are still functioning.  They require a lot of weights though to balance them.  Can a body shop straighten out bent rims so that they are like new?  On the other hand, are there original type rims, such as NOS stock rims being sold?  Thanks, Marc.

Drop a large adjustable wrench over edge of rim and have at it - I have straightened platy if just the edge bead.  If not handy, then try a wheel repair shop - there is usually one in every major town that repairs aluminum rims from pot hole damage.