Brake light mystery

Summershandy

Checking my brake lights today with the wooden stick holding down the brake pedal and I noticed the drivers side out. Bulb is good, socket is good. Tail lights work. I noticed the PO marked the wires in the trunk with tape. The brake wire is also the signal wire. Well, I shouldn't have a signal light then. I turned on the signal and it was blinking. Went to turn the signal indicator off and when I went back the brake light had came on. Almost like the signal light gave the brake light a kick in the arse to turn on. I'm wondering what that's all about? The engine wasn't running in case that has an effect.

On a car that shares a bulb between the turn signals and brake lights, this is a common problem. Wiggle your turn signal stalk and it will probably come back. The most likely problem is the turn signal switch.

Heres how it works: The brake light circuit runs through the turn signal switch. When you turn on a signal, one set of contacts connects a front signal to the flasher, and another set DISCONNECTS one brake light bulb and connects it to the flasher. It should connect that bulb back to the brakelights when the turn signal cancels, but don't bet on it with an old switch.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark.  Have a turn signal/brake light issue also. Park lights work. Headlights work. Turn signals flash but weak and fast. One side only. Harness is off now and I found this.. wire rubbed through on top of fan shroud... Might want to check yours.... Like cars may have same issues.... John

IMG_20190810_140551400.jpg

IMG_20190810_140342628.jpg

• Like 1