1981 Cadillac Eldorado, 15,975 original miles! *SOLD*

000H.thumb.jpg.4beb59916481852a15eff3452c156da7.jpg

*SOLD* How about some more affordable fun, you ask? Here you go! This beautiful 1981 Cadillac Eldorado has just 15,975 original miles (not a typo). Original paint, chrome, interior, engine, everything but maintenance items. It comes from an estate sale where I picked up a bunch of cars and if I wanted the others (which I did) I had to take this one, too. Well, it turns out this might be the finest GM E-body I've ever had. The mileage is legit, and it was purchased new in Illinois and immediately driven to Florida, where it lived the remainder of its life until I acquired it a few weeks ago. That's specifically why it has a cloth interior instead of leather. Original paint means no rust or repairs under the surface and it really is a nice car. Bumper extensions still excellent with no crumbling or cracking, and aside from a few minor nicks on the nose, there's really not much to complain about.

Likewise inside where it's almost new. Everything works, including ice cold A/C, although the power antenna' motor works but it seems to have stripped its gears--a common problem and replacement masts are apparently available to cure the problem. Digital displays, AM/FM/Cassette/CB radio, power seats, windows, locks, all of it works. Headliner isn't falling down like every other '80s GM car and the back seat has probably never been used. Trunk beautifully outfitted and the original spare tire has never been down.

The one-year-only V8-6-4 gets a bad rep and you shouldn't let it scare you. I did some research and learned that it's a 368 cubic inch version of the mighty 472/500 cubic inch Cadillac V8, whose reputation is bulletproof reliability. That's a big plus right there and 6.0 liters puts out a lot of grunt compared to the later 4100s, which definitely were problematic. The valve deactivation mechanism works properly, but you can permanently deactivate the system by disconnecting just one wire and then you'll have a fuel injected big block Cadillac with some major torque, and even if it fails completely (which they apparently don't do) it defaults to V8 mode. It runs great, starts easily, idles almost silently, and you'll note it has had little more than maintenance--belts, hoses, battery, and a recent tune-up. I took it on a long-ish road trip two weeks ago at about 80 MPH without issues. Transmission shifts nicely, the suspension is luxury car floaty, and 4-wheel disc brakes were standard. Heck, this car is still carrying its original exhaust system! Fresh 205/75/15 whitewall radials ride and handle quite well.

A full set of factory manuals, shop manuals, EVTM, and other books are included.

I think this is a pretty darned nice car. Seeing that there's a growing interest in cars like this at CLC national meets and it's 100% eligible for AACA showing, I guess I understand why they're popular. Fast, comfortable, cold A/C, and welcome at almost any show makes it pretty painless to be involved in the hobby without a lot of effort. And for $13,900 you probably won't find a nicer one anywhere. Thanks for looking!

001.jpg003.jpg006.jpg008.jpg

013.jpg025.jpg032.jpg033.jpg

034.jpg035.jpg039.jpg041.jpg

043.jpg045.jpg052.jpg054.jpg

056.jpg058.jpg064.jpg070.jpg

072.jpg081.jpg085.jpg088.jpg

089.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just unplug the cylinder deactivator and these are a good solid driver! Great shape in a perfect old guy Florida color. Is that paint code "Pastel Wax berry" by any chance?

I had a 1981  in 1987 and remember ordering touch up paint.

• Like 1

That is the last of a really good engine series. And a good choice for that style. We had an '81 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance that was a great car, same engine. I always ran it on all 8. I had TBI and I always wanted to do a super tune up and try the system out but never got around to it.

Three other members of my local Cadillac Club Chapter had experience owning them.  One owned a new one and said he could tell when it operated. He thought it was "interesting" but ran fine. Another member had a new one and never noticed it. He drove with his foot to the floor all the time. The third bought a shabby used one and he complained about everything.

If you ever get a chance to drive a similar vintage Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow you will notice how similar the hood, fender peaks, and dash are, like really similar.

And bigger than you'd expect in person. Nice cars.

Bernie

• 7 months later...