Inherited Chrysler

I inherited an older Chrysler. It was sitting out in an Oklahoma field forever. Now that I have it, I was wondering what it is and if it's worth doing anything with. I've been told, it's a 1927 Sports Coupe with a rumble seat, golf club door and 6-cylinder motor. The Chrysler tag on the instrument panel reads H6350. Is anybody able to help me properly identify this car? It won't hurt my feelings it 'trash it' is the answer.

20170722_100012.jpg

IMG_20190613_154242873.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, I went back out and looked at the code with a bit of direction and it is 'LH635R'. Can you tell me how you determined the year and month built?

Can the car in it's condition be restored or am i fighting a long battle?

1 hour ago, Kenny D. said:

Yes, I went back out and looked at the code with a bit of direction and it is 'LH635R'. Can you tell me how you determined the year and month built?

Can the car in it's condition be restored or am i fighting a long battle?

Here is the FEDCO chart for that number....sorry I forgot to include it before. I usually do. First column....

Fedco chart 3.jpg

Copy (2) of Fedco chart 3.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I believe the car CAN be restored. Whether you want to spend the money and accept the fact that you will not recoup as much as you put into it will determine if you do it or not. The largest drawback is the woodwork involved. The sheet metal can be done, but the wood will need skilled professionals to accomplish a restoration. I am putting my money into two business coupes I own because I will NEVER sell them if I can possibly help it, so the money "loss" doesn't matter to me. If you truly like the car and want to restore and keep it, it is worth it, in my opinion.

John

Thanks for your support.

I did a Google search for the FEDCO system chart and got nowhere.....so I saved your attachment, thanks again.

Lets talk woodwork.....do you have a source that you can refer? I live in Magnolia, TX (NW Houston).

Your buy looks a bit more assembled than mine. When I loaded the car into the trailer, most of the panels were still attached to the wood.....after hauling it from OKC to the Houston area (Magnolia), most of the panels had fallen off. I need to see if I can find a manual/book that will give me some kind of idea of what I have and how it's suppose to assemble.

Before you start anything take lots of photos.

Trace all the curves you can before any disassembly then compare left to right,

Cross measure all the openings dash to doors.

Try to save the wood, you may have to tack on 1/4 plywood to save the shape for patters.

Unfortunately there is not much wood left to identify, at least as a whole piece with where it's suppose to go. I was hoping to find a wood kit somewhere ....no luck yet. I am familiar with auto restoration and how valuable pictures are. I currently maintain a '69 Camaro Pace Car a '78 Corvette Pace Car and I just completed a frame off restoration on a '66 Triumph Spitfire. ...but, these cars had plenty of support documentation.  I'd like to find a book or any documentation that would illustrate what I have and/or how it should look. 

I bought the   motor tranny and rear end out of a 1928 Chrysler from a guy was making a hot rod of the car and have two back wheels .

The motor  has the distributor on the top of the motor.

If you need anything  contact me.

thanks, I know my motor is not complete, but I'm still working out what is missing and if I have it sitting somewhere. I've just started my research, it may take some time to figure out what I have. Can you point me in the direction for a manual that will illustrate the car/motor/interior....something that can show me what I should have.  

5 hours ago, Kenny D. said:

thanks, I know my motor is not complete, but I'm still working out what is missing and if I have it sitting somewhere. I've just started my research, it may take some time to figure out what I have. Can you point me in the direction for a manual that will illustrate the car/motor/interior....something that can show me what I should have.  

Here you go....https://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-Chrysler-62-Original-Owners-Manual-February-1928-Fourth-Edition/173731722307?hash=item287337b443:g:~n4AAOSwMJVbv2RJ

• 2 weeks later...

OK forum, lets talk real budget and possibilities. I just completed a 1966 Triumph Spitfire, i was able to get 99% of the parts from a single source out of CA. I did 60% of the restoration myself outsourcing paint, motor rebuild and seat work....so I am able to do the mechanics. My Chrysler, which is a 1928 Model 62, with rumble seat, has been out in an Oklahoma field for over 20 years....the wood is gone to splinters, seats are springs only, steering wheel wood has come off, the steering wheel switches have broken off.....motor has been partially disassembled (I found the carb but its all aged and cracked). I believe all of the metal panels are accounted for, the block and drive train are still assembled, suspension is still assembled....so, in summary, just imagine a complete car with the motor being worked on sitting in a field forever.....that's what I have. The million dollar question is, can this car be restored and if so what $ budget should I account for?????????  I can send pictures if it will help.

Anything can be restored if one wants to do it.  Next question is it something you feel so deeply about that you will see it through from start to finish just to complete it and bring it back to life? Do you want to restore it because it needs to be saved or just because you feel sad for it?   There will be minimal return on any investment and a huge net loss financially if you have to cut your losses and sell it before it's restored or for that matter even after it's restored.  Yes restoration work can be done cheaply over years if you can provide all the labor,  but some things like Chrome and Upholstery that many guys can't do themselves will require a huge investment as those prices have skyrocketed over the last few years. 

I guess in the end it also depends on what level you want to take it.  Something you will be happy to beat around in, in primer with a blanket for a seat cover or something you want to win trophies with. 

I do want to add that I would love to see them all restored,  but realize it just isn't possible and probably better to concentrate on the most worthy examples at this point as the age of cheap restorations seems to be gone. 

Too bad they weren't all properly stored years ago.  It would make todays pickings much better.  Especially here in the east where that car would have nothing left to it worth restoring or even parting after being exposed outside for over 20 years.  I'm sure it was far from pristine when it was stuck in the field you retrieved it from.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1