Engine Storage

Picked up a spare 389 Pontiac motor the other day for a song.  Fifteen thousand miles on the rebuild.  Plan to use it on a future project but will probable be a couple years down the road.  Sitting on a motor cradle in my CC shop.  My plan is to put 1/2 oz Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder.  Should I turn the motor periodically or just leave it sit.  PO switched it out for a built 428.  Suggestions appreciated.  Thanks

10 minutes ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Picked up a spare 389 Pontiac motor the other day for a song.  Fifteen thousand miles on the rebuild.  Plan to use it on a future project but will probable be a couple years down the road.  Sitting on a motor cradle in my CC shop.  My plan is to put 1/2 oz Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder.  Should I turn the motor periodically or just leave it sit.  PO switched it out for a built 428.  Suggestions appreciated.  Thanks

You'll get at least as many opinions as replies - mine is to turn it over occasionally.  I figure it can't hurt and may help - also replenish the MMO as needed.  And plug all the water inlets/outlets, manifold ports, etc - aside from dust/dirt, various critters like to nest in them.  Again, opinions vary as to whether to stuff them with rags, steel wool, etc.

• Like 2

I'll tell ya, Doctor Bob : singing for a 389 sure beats singing for your supper. First, a couple years down the road is not a long term storage issue. Particularly in your location. BUT, you can preserve it with fogging oil. This is designed to use through the carb of a running engine. However, just pull the plugs and fog each cylinder while opened up. Now rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees and fog again. Then give a full rotation or two. Replace plugs and don't worry. You can go to much more involved heroics if you plan to lay up an engine for decades. Remember that 1948 Cadillac engine we talked about a few years ago ? The time we discussed the little-known Duesenberg V16 Aero engines ? That Cad was laid up with Premalube Red for 30 years. Periodically re-sprayed, and given 2 1/2 turns. It  will be moving a '42 smartly and smoothly down the line soon. 

Please introduce us to your great old cars with a picture if you get a chance some time. I am particularly interested in your Garford, and the '23 Cadillac.        -    Carl 

D8FE7A2F-6A0F-4B68-949B-1AC211FC9EFB.jpeg

2313EDC4-F746-47DB-B3EE-B6717C3F0AB6.jpeg

8C47A903-81FF-42F5-A61D-568A1278676B.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Spelling (see edit history)

Here is what I would do. First make sure the engine oil has been changed, then you can use marvel oil , STA-BIL, ATF, WD40 etc. A spray into the cylinders works best. Next remove the valve covers and back off the independent rockers so all the valves are closed and while you have the valve covers off you can spray your lubricant on the exposed valve stems.

THIS NEXT THING IS THE MOST ESSENTIAL FOR THE BOTTOM END AND CAM BEARINGS  AND LIFTERS. REMOVE the distributor and install a Pontiac distributor that has the distributor cam gear and on the opposite end advanced weights REMOVED. I use a Pontiac distributor from the junk yard, Pontiac guys usually have a old one around because we use this distributor for just what we are talking about AND also on a fresh new rebuilt engine. Insert the distributor into the engine and engage the oil pump and attach a 1/2" drill motor. With fresh oil in the engine you can OIL PRIME the engine before starting a fresh engine and if in storage you can periodically lube the engine. Don't stop priming until oil is running from the pushrods to ALL the rockers. After you do this you can vacuum bag the engine until the next time you prime it.     

Carl it was good to hear from you.  I consider $500 for a rebuilt 65 389 including intake manifold, starter, fuel pump and chrome valve covers to be a deal too good to pass on, especially since I had ridden in the car a year ago.  I don't have a recent photo of the 23 and can't get one as my kids sold their house and moved everything into my building while they are finishing their new home.  Attached is the GarfordDSC00328-1.JPG.1Garford.JPG.b60820995416375eab9c54822d07ff41.JPG

54 HP advertised, Restored by Harrah a few years before he passed.  His research indicated it was the sole survivor although there are a few Studebaker/Garfords around.  I have heard rumors of a 08/09 Garford somewhere in the Northeast but never able to substantiate it.  Garford made a few cars 1912/1913.  They premiered a 14 model at the New York Auto Show (One Eyed Garford with a single headlight in the center of the radiator which turned like a Pilot Ray)  but never produced any.