driveshaft adjustment 49 chrysler woody

gregchrysler

The drive shaft is supposed to have a slip joint to allow relative movement between the rear axle and transmission. A sliding splined section. Is that frozen up somehow? If it is not, then it should be a simple matter to shorten the driveshaft by pushing on the end.

It's your shift linkage adjustment or...

If you took the side cover off the trans it was installed back on wrong.

The bolt with the lock nut on the rear transmission  shift lever is adjusted shorter or longer to get reverse on a 49 Chrysler.

Shop manual explains it.

C49 T&C Clutch disc Job Woodie (1).JPG

• Thanks 1

thanks bob for looking  disconnected rod selector   pushed gear selector by hand all the way back    goes into first not reverse    --have to take it back to transmission shop after I spent 2 days taking out tranny   2 days putting it back in and killing myself on my back under car    no lift

Are u sure it is not going into second gear?  Reverse and second should be on the same swing of the tranny selector and first and third swung the other direction.  The other rod on the side slides in and out to determine which gear set it moves.  No way first and reverse are backwards.  Did you EVER get a shop manual for the car?

Matt