1968 Driver Side Lower Exhaust Manifold Hot Air Flap "Open" Postion

NC1968Riviera

The other day when I was under my car greasing the front suspension. I was looking at the hot air flap on the lower driver side exhaust manifold. The flap mechanism is frozen in place. It still has the spring but the spring does not appear to be functional.

I tapped the flap 'weight' to get to move.

I tapped the flap weight back to the position I found it in because I did not want to "close" the flap. (I am assuming it is in the "open" position).

My question is: What is the correct orientation of the flap door "weight" when the flap is at the "open" position? Does anyone have a picture they can share?

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

I noticed that the springs that should hold the flap are not in position on my 68 Rivi.

My manual is not really exhaustive on that flap, so i ask if someone can share some pictures of open/closed Position of this Flap.

I have some heat problems with the engine, and this is a suspect for sure.

Would it do any damage having the flap in always open position fixed? Car is only used in spring/summer season.

Thank you!

If I remember correctly that heat riser valve is separete from the manifold.  IF it is remove it & cut out/grind out or whatever to remove the valve entirely. 

The way these cars are driven today there is NO NEED for them any longer. We are not driving them in all kinds of inclimate weather as when they were new.  IF you notice, & I doubt you will, It may only be for a minute or two before all is back to normal.  These used to drive us all, who were/still are, in this profession, ways to keep it lubricated to keep it operating freely after it left the shop after a lube, oil, filter change.

Tom T.

1 hour ago, Wurstfreund said:

I noticed that the springs that should hold the flap are not in position on my 68 Rivi.

My manual is not really exhaustive on that flap, so i ask if someone can share some pictures of open/closed Position of this Flap.

I have some heat problems with the engine, and this is a suspect for sure.

Would it do any damage having the flap in always open position fixed? Car is only used in spring/summer season.

Thank you!

I banged my flap into the open position and it's run fine since. I concur with Tom's observations above. 

On 5/28/2019 at 9:46 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

The other day when I was under my car greasing the front suspension. I was looking at the hot air flap on the lower driver side exhaust manifold. The flap mechanism is frozen in place. It still has the spring but the spring does not appear to be functional.

I tapped the flap 'weight' to get to move.

I tapped the flap weight back to the position I found it in because I did not want to "close" the flap. (I am assuming it is in the "open" position).

My question is: What is the correct orientation of the flap door "weight" when the flap is at the "open" position? Does anyone have a picture they can share?

You should be able to determine open and closed position by looking at the spring and determining which way it winds the shaft to close the valve.    Also, the weight is oriented so that gravity assists the valve to open as the thermostatic spring relaxes. ...that's why the weight is present.

Tom

• Like 1

Hey!

I used an old wire and bended an S shaped hook to fix the weight with a bolt of the manifold.

Had not too much time for an exhaustive ride, but i have the impression that this did the trick. I need to re-check, but i think that the old bi-metal had not enough spring force to pull the flap all open when hot.

I need to monitor it, but looks promising that my overheating problems are solved. Thanks!