89 Reatta timing issues.

Spazzaroth

So after having a mechanic go over my reatta we're still struggling with what appears to be a timing issue.  A timing issue that seems to be directly related to electronic parts.  Namely the ICM.  In my other thread I talk about it more.  Right now the last thing I can check on the electronic side of my timing issue is the cam and crank sensors.  

My question is.  Besides the electronic components what other ways are there to adjust the timing in an 89 Reatta?  The ting chain was replaced last year.  Is it possible I could have jumped a gear or something?  If so, how would I go about fixing that?  Thanks guys.  Any input would be appreciated.

Daniel is on the button regarding the timing. It is a simple matter in diagnostics to call up the ignition timing being commanded so I would do that first. You did transfer the original EEPROM to the replacement ECM, correct?

Yes I did transfer the prom.  How do I bring up the timing diagnostics?  Is it on the crt under ecm codes?  One of The problems I'm having is I'm getting no engine codes at all. 

Thanks again.  I'm trying to keep plugging away at this until I get the car back on the road.

2 hours ago, Spazzaroth said:

Yes I did transfer the prom.  How do I bring up the timing diagnostics?  Is it on the crt under ecm codes?  One of The problems I'm having is I'm getting no engine codes at all. 

Thanks again.  I'm trying to keep plugging away at this until I get the car back on the road.

It is under ECM data in diagnostics which comes after the codes, but I am not as familiar with how it is displayed on the crt. I know there is a more complete listing on the '89's vs the '90 I am more familiar with so hopefully someone with the crt can guide you more accurately. The engine must be running to be able to display live data.

While tracing a E041 Cam code a couple of years ago. I found 2 sets of wire splices that are the common feeds  for the Ground and Power for the CAM, ICM and Crank Sensor. I found them under the car in wire loom in oil pan area.One is the Brown wire can't remember the other color.  Located this when I was tracing wires from ICM and Crank sensors. These splices are just like the ones under the seats. Not sure if this could be causing your issue but this is common between all the timing sensors. CRT, press off and warm at the same time, When ECM comes up for inputs select yes, to enter, you cane then just cycle thru them to see live data of each sensor. Reatta Owners Jorunal will have better CRT diagnositic info then I can provide from memory

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dashmaster said:

While tracing a E041 Cam code a couple of years ago. I found 2 sets of wire splices that are the common feeds  for the Ground and Power for the CAM, ICM and Crank Sensor. I found them under the car in wire loom in oil pan area.One is the Brown wire can't remember the other color.  Located this when I was tracing wires from ICM and Crank sensors. These splices are just like the ones under the seats. Not sure if this could be causing your issue but this is common between all the timing sensors. CRT, press off and warm at the same time, When ECM comes up for inputs select yes, to enter, you cane then just cycle thru them to see live data of each sensor. Reatta Owners Jorunal will have better CRT diagnositic info then I can provide from memory

Good point! I had forgotten the wiring runs around under the front of the engine area and is much more subject to damage. I had a cam sensor issue with my derelict '89 and discovered a cut wire that cured the problem. The wiring to the cam/crank/knock sensor are routed over the top right of the engine on the '90, nothing underneath.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 1:23 PM, Spazzaroth said:

So after having a mechanic go over my reatta we're still struggling with what appears to be a timing issue.  A timing issue that seems to be directly related to electronic parts.  Namely the ICM.  In my other thread I talk about it more.  Right now the last thing I can check on the electronic side of my timing issue is the cam and crank sensors.  

My question is.  Besides the electronic components what other ways are there to adjust the timing in an 89 Reatta?  The ting chain was replaced last year.  Is it possible I could have jumped a gear or something?  If so, how would I go about fixing that?  Thanks guys.  Any input would be appreciated.

How did you come to the conclusion that you have a timing issue?    What method did you use to check the timing?  Degree wheel to put marks on the harmonic balancer -  mark top dead center and use timing tape on the harmonic balancer? 

• 2 weeks later...

When the car would run at high rpm it would misfire badly and stall at low rpms.  Just from the way it ran I thought it was pretty clear it was a timing problem.  I didn't do any other tests on it.  However when I finally replaced the crank sensor it fixed the issue. 

• Like 2