‘28 Buick marvel carb remove and replace heat riser sleeve

Rich Dayton

The sleeve is pressed into a "blind" hole, it cannot be driven out.

The way to remove the sleeve is using a boring bar, with cuts of about 0.003 until the sleeve is paper-thin, and then it can be collapsed, and removed. THIS IS A MACHINE SHOP OPERATION!

Where to locate one? Don't know. Still have hundreds of sleeves for other vehicles, but sold out of those for Buick.

Jon.

Rich, 

I have blanked mine off on my 1925 Buick Standard per the recommendation of other Pre War Buick owners.  You could look for steel or brass tubing.  Shops that can swedge the new tubing inside may be getting a little harder to find.  It may be that you have to buy a muffler pipe expander and do the expansion yourself, and a machine shop may need to turn down the OD slightly?

I blanked mine off for 2 reasons.  The heat riser is no longer necessary with modern fuels.  If mine ever were to develop a leak, it will not matter if it is blanked off.  My suggestion is to try just blanking it off.  That is the easiest solution.   While you are doing this, I would also remove the butterfly in the exhaust.

You should do your posting for your car on the Buick Pre War site.    You will get a quicker response.  

Hugh

1468574582_HeatValve1.thumb.JPG.1d43687c300b2152bc24716013624bb5.JPG1311800530_heatvalve2.thumb.JPG.01c33e23998cda12353290bfca42573a.JPG40341130_heatvalve3.thumb.JPG.728a2ff3e599b5654aed7cd9cca62a1e.JPG1883374577_heatvalve4.thumb.JPG.87bc132423bc0df073426073e4ccbb6a.JPG

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hugh, 

Thank you for the detailed information on blocking the tube, I have not torn it apart yet but plan to too see what has been done it looks like it was done years ago.  I thank you for the information and plan on asking a whole lot more.

Thank you again

Matthew Maya

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 7:52 AM, Hubert_25-25 said:

You could look for steel or brass tubing.  Shops that can swedge the new tubing inside may be getting a little harder to find.

Rich,

For my 1924 Buick,  I used aluminized exhaust tubing obtained from the recycle bin at a local muffler shop.  Muffler shops have lots of scrap tubing that they can swedge to the diameter needed.  Aluminized tubing resists corrosion and is free or very cheap.  Just cut down one side of the old tube and collapse it for removal.  Clean and lube the internal surfaces of the cast iron riser and press the replacement tube into the riser with an arbor press.  It helps to cut the new tube with a pipe cutter that will slightly bevel the end that is to be pressed into the riser.

Good luck,

Mark

24 Buick Heat Control.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1