Mystery early car

nzcarnerd

This photo was on a facebook page - captioned Wyckoff 1904, EEUU - no I don't know what it means either.  

Wykoff 1904 EEUU.jpg

The car looks like a slightly extended Ford Quadricycle and the driver does bear a resemblance to Henry Ford, although the photo quality is very poor.

In researching it I found this one - where the title suggest the driver of the car is Henry Ford - it is obviously not - although the text doesn't. I think whoever wrote the title misread the information.

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/44408#slide=gs-219832

3 hours ago, zipdang said:

The driver in the linked photo sure looks like Ford to me. Did he ever put a body shell like that on the quadricycle?

Nope. No fenders, no body, no windshield. But he did upholster the seat and add a door bell to warn pedestrians. The 1896 Ford Quadricycle. 

IMG_9516.jpg

untitled.png

untitled2.png

10 hours ago, zipdang said:

The driver in the linked photo sure looks like Ford to me. Did he ever put a body shell like that on the quadricycle?

I think the photo in the Henry Ford collection link is actually a 1905 photoshop of an 1896 photo.

There is one in this lot from Greenfield Village which is 'boxed' but it may be a replica.

http://www.rodandtara.com/2006/2006_greenfieldvillage-1.htm

Maybe an early, early Ford expert can sort this one.

Out on a limb thought...

Is it possible that it’s a picture of the car built up on the Selden patent to fight said patent in court? With the much more refined automobile in the background, it looks like around that time in history....