Carb float

broker-len

have a early Carter BB1 in service for a few years    the other day   gas bubbling from the top      first thought was leak in float      took apart and that is what is was       had a new one so I'm set     question !  what to do with a float filled with gas   are they repairable      should I just drill a hole and get it out    don't want to put it back in parts box with the fuel trapped     

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, broker-len said:

Jon-------------------have a BB1 float   full of gas    found the hole but covered by solder                 I would,t think of melting it off    please looking for sugestion

Just use a soldering iron, not a torch....

before you attempt to solder, immerse it in very hot water long enough to see where the bubbles come from;  then maybe open the hole a little just to have solid brass,  and be able to expel all the fuel as vapour.    Then cut out and tin a patch of very thin copper or brass shim.  ( three to five thousandths of an inch thick is any amount heavy enough.   Then mark and clean where you want the patch to go.  Remember that the first pre-requisite for soldering is   "clean your work".    It is best to use a small, tinned soldering iron.

I've never had to make a patch, just solder over the hole with solder. I use a 100 watt soldering iron (American Beauty) but it is overkill. New electronically controlled soldering iron will probably also work, with a 1/8" or larger chisel tip. Cleanliness is important for solder to stick well.

Too much solder might make the float heavier than original, use sparingly.

I like Carb King's instructions.

thank you Jon for your advise another question for you and other members       I have a Carter brass bowl up draft     when I rebuilt it the low speed jet tube came out in two pieces      I was cautioned about trying to resolder so I put a little dab of JB weld in the female and put in the tube      seemed to be strong when dry     now the carb is on the car      the idle circuit does not seem to be working      runs but will not idle       looking for advise

plymouth show.jpg

SIL 5.JPG

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)