car won't start.

handmedownreatta

i know i could search but i hope someone will suggest what to check first.i was driving down the road and all of a sudden the car started running badly.i stopped at a store and the car started back up still running badly.i drove a quarter mile to where i was going and cut the car off.five minutes later it wouldn't start.im glad i have AAA.still won't start.i can hear the fuel pump priming.

8 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i can't find my spark tester so i shot some starter fluid down the tube from the air breather.nothing but backfires.

It would seem to indicate there is some sort of ignition, but not at the correct time. Either spark is mis-directed or valves are not synched to the crankshaft?

• Like 1

The engine may cough in the intake if it almost starts but the ignition is released before actually running. I just had a similar experience where my battery was run down and multiple attempts were made. I suspect excess fuel in the intake runner from multiple prime.

Get a loaner fuel pressure tester from you local auto parts store and confirm that you consistently have good fuel pressure. Next check for a good strong spark. Keep in mind that the ICM won't fire the coils and the ECM won't trigger the injectors to spray fuel without a signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Get a loaner fuel pressure tester from you local auto parts store and confirm that you consistently have good fuel pressure. Next check for a good strong spark. Keep in mind that the ICM won't fire the coils and the ECM won't trigger the injectors to spray fuel without a signal from the crankshaft position sensor.

i wiggled the wires to the sensor the other day but it made no difference.whats the correct fuel pressure?i already have a guage.i assume the fuel filter is under the middle of the car like my camaro was?

33 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I just replaced the crankshaft position sensor in mine. Cured the problem. Well known issue with the 3800 V6

i was looking at that but im afraid that i will end up replacing everything.i had a camaro that i ended replacing several parts before i did the right one.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i checked for spark on all six coil outputs.nothing.

I find that it is easier to fix when there is no spark at all than when the problem is erratic.  There are two ways to troubleshoot your problem problem.  You can start replacing parts until you find the problem OR, you can do step by step tests to try to pinpoint the problem. I wrote a tutorial for doing that.  ICM & Crank Position Sensor Troubleshooting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAVES89 said:

Ronnie that Radio Shack LED test light is out of stock. Also as there are so few Radio Shacks around is it possible you could find one on Amazon that might work? I'd like to build one to have.

I have about fifty 12v led's in various colors, the same ones I use on my brake pump/accumulator test rig. I will put a selection together for you. Really handy to use in various places although somewhat fragile

Oops, slow typist

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

I have about fifty 12v led's in various colors, the same ones I use on my brake pump/accumulator test rig. I will put a selection together for you. Really handy to use in various places although somewhat fragile

Could you post the source where you get your 12v LEDs? The Radio Shack brand are the only ones I have used and as Dave said, that source has dried up.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Could you post the source where you get your 12v LEDs? The Radio Shack brand are the only ones I have used and as Dave said, that source has dried up.

I had to look back further than I remembered getting them, which is par for the course as I get older. I found my order from 2015, which is shown as unavailable today but there was a suggested replacement from the same vendor, for a few bucks more of course🙄  Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFZRB96/ref=dp_prsubs_2

25 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I had to look back further than I remembered getting them, which is par for the course as I get older. I found my order from 2015, which is shown as unavailable today but there was a suggested replacement from the same vendor, for a few bucks more of course🙄  Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFZRB96/ref=dp_prsubs_2

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

i had to unbolt the icm to get to the wiring to run the tests.a lot of the 'stuff' in the icm has melted and dripped out.i opened it up and it looks pretty rough in there.im thinking it might be best to go to pull a part tomorrow and find a delco setup rather than buying a new icm.btw i tryed to owm out the coil but i must have been doing it wrong.