NinaAdata

1942 Hudson Big Boy

Hudson offered Dover (Essex chassis) commercial vehicles in '29 and '31.  Terraplane commercials ran 33-38 and Hudson commercials available in '38-47.   Nothing built from '48 up stepdowns.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StillOutThere said:

Hudson offered Dover (Essex chassis) commercial vehicles in '29 and '31.  Terraplane commercials ran 33-38 and Hudson commercials available in '38-47.   Nothing built from '48 up stepdowns.   

Did the utility coupe skip the years 38 and 39? With 1940 being the last year?

33 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Did the utility coupe skip the years 38 and 39? With 1940 being the last year?

FWIW, Wikipedia (yeah, I know it's not always accurate) says the utility coupe was Terraplane in 37 and 38 and Hudson in 39 (when Terraplane was dropped) through 42 (when civilian production was suspended).  It was not produced after WWII.  It got independent front suspension in 40.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Utility_Coupe

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

I have seen a 1940 utility coupe, never a 41-42. Our 37 utility coupes had a plain/smooth tail gate. Not sure what year had Hudson Terraplane stamped in it, must be 39? And then the Terraplane was dropped. And the rest just were stamp Hudson? We have a candy company in Boise that has been around for a long time. On their box lid, they have a few Terraplane panels. I have never heard anything about these panels. What happened to them? Where are they? 

1937 hudson coupe 088.JPG

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)

On 4/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Hood looks the same.

That hood does make it look like it may be the truck I sold. The pictures in my garage look about 1995, about 25 years ago. A lot can happen. The other thing is the silver painted heater hose cap on the cylinder head. I can't recall specifically, but it sure has a familiar look to it.

The person I sold the truck to had a 1940 's Commodore with leather and a monogram of the original owner on the door. wouldn't mind tracking that one down again.

I bet that is your old truck. A lot of Hudson"s are sentenced to hard time in the garage with no visitation.:lol: 

I only just now recalled that French Lake Auto Parts in MN had very rusty '42 Custom Commodore 8, or maybe it was a Commodore Custom 8 (they flip-flopped on the name over the years) long wheelbase sedan about ten years ago. That model was the same wheelbase (129"? maybe) as the Big Boy pickup. I heard that they only built three of those sedans that year. You could tell that it was a classy looking sedan with that long wheelbase. They used the front half of a two door sedan up to the "B" pillar and the back half of a four door sedan on the rear. French Lake, like Windy Hills, is MNs other huge yard has enough room that they don't need to crush much. Some of the sedan may still be there for parts and a frame.

http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com/

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Here is one from Xander.

Scan0016.jpg

Xander, I wonder if you understood what I was talking about. The '42 that I was talking about was on the 129" wheelbase. The same wheelbase as the Big Boy pickup and not the same wheelbase as the standard passenger cars. Do you see the difference in the length of the front doors between these two '42s?

Image result for 1942 hudson custom commodore sedan

hs420102.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The long wheelbase sedan, the upper photo,  was actually a somewhat strange configuration. When you opened the front door, you could see the whole of the front seat, the side and a little space behind it in front of the "B" pillar because they were using the front doors off of a two-door sedan.

I see what you are talking about, it has a two door sedan door on the front. Can not tell if the picture I posted, has the longer door. It looks better with the longer door. The front door from a four door sedan, is the same door used on the trucks. To short, does not look right. Here is a four door sedan being turned into a stretched truck cab. With a two door sedan door being used to match the upper door opening. It does not have the same curve as the coupe doors. You can do anything with beer in the shop.:)

hudson convertible, mikes truck 081.JPG

hudson convertible, mikes truck 086.JPG

• Like 1

Mine came from Florida in the 80's or about 1990 the latest,  then headed up to VT where I acquired it from the family of the guy that owned it after supposably driving it from Florida back then.  That was about 2015. 

It's hard to find many in the drivable state for under 20G.  Some real nice trucks in the 30's but a big void from the needs everything 5,000-10,000 trucks and the good pretty much turn key local show quality trucks in the 30G and up range. I know I pounded the bushes pretty hard when I was looking for mine and I wasn't being super picky and was willing to import from the west coast if necessary. All the good trucks I found had already been sold.  It was down to mine and a bone stock one I didn't like the colors on, which had a completely stock drivetrain.  The more roadworthy drivetrain and better color combo plus only being 3 and 1/2 hours away helped it win out.  The other truck also had cab lights which I really didn't like. 

• Like 1

What with the plastic cup, I'm thinking you must have a kegerator in the shop?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not 100% Sure, but that could be a tap handle on the door of the fridge. And again, not sure just guessing. There could be chilled glasses in the upper part of that cooling device. Leasing a building means no more friendly fridge. Insurance and building owner might frown.:(    

shop truck 024.JPG

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Haha 1