1939 plymouth pickup

Bob Baumgarten

I think the only item scarcer than tailgates and rear fenders are running boards.  I saw a pair (used but in good shape) for $1600, balked at the price and went back half an hour later and saw a guy walking away with them.  The only ones I have seen in 38 years.  

Mechanically it will be easy to maintain and enjoyable.

When I met my Wife she was into the whole hippy, Mother Earth thing (minus the New Age) and she thought old trucks were just the greatest thing. To impress her I bought a '46 Dodge pickup with damaged sheet metal. I went down to the Southern Tier of New York State and brought home a '39 Plymouth panel truck that had been cut open to make a pickup. Almost everything was the same except a very few trim pieces.

Here's me with the cab and chassis in the old rental garage I started in. That's a '56 Plymouth engine between the rails. Sold it after we bought the house and the new owner undid all my work to make a street rod.

1940.thumb.jpg.2a0c3bf2fbc0d5f9ed2a7a98abcecb18.jpg

Here's a link to a Fargo Craigslist ad in which someone is selling a " '48 Plymouth pickup box". Because 1941 was the last year that Plymouth offered pickups, there might be a chance that he has a '39 and doesn't know it. Also, I assume that Plymouths used the same box and fenders as Dodge, the difference being the script on the tailgate. While this man may not even have the tailgate to the box he's selling, it might be worth calling him. Also, it will be worth it to you to buy a whole box just to get the tailgate.

https://fargo.craigslist.org/tro/d/noyes-pickup-box-trailers/6838504931.html

On 3/25/2019 at 5:02 AM, Bob Baumgarten said:

I have a chance to buy a 39 Plymouth pickup are parts hard to find ? it needs a tailgate and rear

fenders and also a lot of TLC

thanks

Bob B

Here's a link to a C/L ad offering a '37 Plymouth pickup box for sale in Sioux Falls, SD. I don't know for sure if a '39 box is the same as a '37 box, the Dodge truck guys will know if they made any changes when the '39s came out. I've been studying the picture of the tailgate and I can't absolutely say for sure that it reads "Plymouth", but you can ask the guy selling it to be sure. If it's the real deal, you should simply buy it with out hesitation! It will be a long tome before another one shows up. Let us know your results.