Are there some Classic Car Part Scouts out there?

Hello,

are there some classic car part scouts out there,

helping to find rare parts on junkyards?

This time Im Looking for an 1964 Buick 300 4bbl aluminum intake,

but in future for different cars from 50´s to 70´s.

I have a shipping address in California so it don´t have to be shipped Overseas.

Edited by Dr.Frankenstyle (see edit history)

Lots of folks enjoy hunting and finding vintage car parts, Dr Frankenstyle, and it's fun to help collectors of American cars who are located overseas. The challenge is that sometimes, an intrepid searcher can look for an item for someone else for a long time, and then finally find one. But, if the searcher then buys it, too often he or she is disappointed to learn that the person they were trying to help no longer wants the item. Perhaps they already found a similar part elsewhere, or changed their mind, or whatever. Too often then, the "scout" who found the part is now stuck with something they don't need or want. 

For your intake, it would be helpful if you were to give "scouts" more specific info, so they cannot accidentally buy an item for you that you won't want. Important info like casting numbers, casting dates, and any specific tell-tale features that they should look for. Then make sure searchers know your preferences about condition. Would you reject an intake if it had been cracked and now have a weld repair? What if there is corrosion around water ports? Would it matter to you if it had been painted? Polished? Just left dirty and original? And then, most importantly of all, how much are you willing to pay? 

Then perhaps sharing an email address is helpful, so that communication can be quicker. 

Imagine this scenario. Sometime in the future, perhaps a month or two, one of our AACA forum members might be walking around an automotive weekend swap meet, and suddenly spot an aluminum intake for sale, with a tag attached which states that the intake is for a Buick. That person is now unsure what to do. First, he doesn't know if you still need and want that part. Should he buy it, or leave it there and go home, knowing he will not likely see that seller again for a while. Second, if he is not an expert on 1964 300 Buicks, then he has no way to know if it is the exact unit that you want. Then, if it is somehow less than perfect, he doesn't know if it's flaws would be a deal-killer for you. Finally, when he looks at that price tag, he has no idea whether you would accept that price plus shipping to California (not cheap to ship from our east coast to our west coast)

Personally, I love to search for parts for folks; especially for fellow car lovers who are overseas, and need our help. But I don't want to own an intake that I don't need. If you can think of some ways to solve the above challenges, I'm sure quite a few "scouts" on this forum would be happy to help...including me. 

One final insight for you: Nearly all "junkyards" in the USA have been stripped of nearly all muscle car parts decades ago. The only place to find an intake like this will be from a fellow collector, or from a Buick-oriented parts business which sells both new and used parts. 

Good luck to you!! 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lump said:

Lots of folks enjoy hunting and finding vintage car parts, Dr Frankenstyle, and it's fun to help collectors of American cars who are located overseas. The challenge is that sometimes, an intrepid searcher can look for an item for someone else for a long time, and then finally find one. But, if the searcher then buys it, too often he or she is disappointed to learn that the person they were trying to help no longer wants the item. Perhaps they already found a similar part elsewhere, or changed their mind, or whatever. Too often then, the "scout" who found the part is now stuck with something they don't need or want. 

For your intake, it would be helpful if you were to give "scouts" more specific info, so they cannot accidentally buy an item for you that you won't want. Important info like casting numbers, casting dates, and any specific tell-tale features that they should look for. Then make sure searchers know your preferences about condition. Would you reject an intake if it had been cracked and now have a weld repair? What if there is corrosion around water ports? Would it matter to you if it had been painted? Polished? Just left dirty and original? And then, most importantly of all, how much are you willing to pay? 

Then perhaps sharing an email address is helpful, so that communication can be quicker. 

Imagine this scenario. Sometime in the future, perhaps a month or two, one of our AACA forum members might be walking around an automotive weekend swap meet, and suddenly spot an aluminum intake for sale, with a tag attached which states that the intake is for a Buick. That person is now unsure what to do. First, he doesn't know if you still need and want that part. Should he buy it, or leave it there and go home, knowing he will not likely see that seller again for a while. Second, if he is not an expert on 1964 300 Buicks, then he has no way to know if it is the exact unit that you want. Then, if it is somehow less than perfect, he doesn't know if it's flaws would be a deal-killer for you. Finally, when he looks at that price tag, he has no idea whether you would accept that price plus shipping to California (not cheap to ship from our east coast to our west coast)

Personally, I love to search for parts for folks; especially for fellow car lovers who are overseas, and need our help. But I don't to own an intake that I don't need. If you can think of some ways to solve the above challenges, I'm sure quite a few "scouts" on this forum would be happy to help...including me. 

One final insight for you: Nearly all "junkyards" in the USA have been stripped of nearly all muscle car parts decades ago. The only place to find an intake like this will be from a fellow collector, or from a Buick-oriented parts business which sells both new and used parts. 

Good luck to you!! 

So maybe carry a list of parts wanted guys and their phone numbers just in case you are the one that stumbles onto that elusive manifold in your scenario.

Pass that phone number to the seller and you are outta there.

Any seller with the proper greed will follow up.

I will go out of my way to help people with the hobby, but I wouldn't be the guy with that list.

Thanks for your Reply.

It´s wonderful to hear, that there are some guys out there, that help us People Overseas.

Ebay is not Always the source to find anything.

You all could be so glad to live in the states, it is terrible to find some parts in god damn europe.

In 1964 there was only one 4bbl intake for the Buick 300 engine, same Thing in 1965, both intakes are different (you can see on my Picture).

Engine Parts should Always be in good condition, no cracks, no Weldings, no bad corrosion on sealing surface and ports, normal wear is ok.

Dirt, paint, or any Surface finish, will never be a Problem.

Price for this part is maximum 450$ in good solid condition ( the 1965 4bbl intake is more expensive, and even harder to find).

Normally a comission and a contract between both sides is done to the scout before the hunt starts,

That´s how it work´s with cars, same should be done with parts, everything else is suspect.

The guy who starts hunting for you, should also be a pro for that brand he is searching for, and should be close with it.

So it would be kind of stupid, to send out a Ford or VW guy to find Buick or GM parts, when he is not close to it.

Now I have 3 Options from other Forums, but if anybody has one for sale, let me know.

Many thanks again for your Reply.

Regards

Dr.Frankenstyle

1964 buick 300 intake - Kopie.jpg

Edited by Dr.Frankenstyle
missing information (see edit history)