1937 Special Steering Column Removal

Jack Worstell

Jack,

I think it is described in the factory service manual. Basically from memory, remove the driver's side engine pan, remove the steering wheel, remove the steering column clamp from the dash by removing two bolts, remove the pitman arm from the steering box, remove the four bolts that hold the steering box to the frame rail, and remove the steering gear and column from the bottom. I think you have to jack the front end up to get it out. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling the column is a factory press-fit into the box? 

My box had a noticeable heavy spot and some "clunking" so I sent the entire unit, box and column to Lares for a rebuild.

I don't know how to separate the two.

Look in the shop manual. I know that sounds like a snarky answer. I don't mean it that way. A quick look under the hood would just as easily tell the story. I have not disassembled one of these, but have seen and touched one, and it was just like every other car of the period. The steering column was part of the steering box. Separate steering columns became common in a much later era.

The shaft (sorry, I don't know the size), most likely is the pinion, and it has it's own bearings, just like any other common car of the period. The steering column will have a bearing only at the top near the steering wheel.

I admit, I have wondered about dissembling in the chassis. I have stared at the shop manual for my Pontiac wondering if it might be possible, as I have a bad bearing on the pinion I need to change. This would mean doing a steering box overhaul and complete setup in the chassis. Crazy? Yes, but I am considering it. My Pontiac is a 36 though and is a simple worm and sector. IIRC GM steering boxes took a quantum leap in 1937, and that Buick is probably a recirculating ball type. Even I am not brave enough to disassemble that in the chassis. A quick look in the shop manual should sort out what type of box it is.

There are pictures of the box/column in GaryW's thread, like this one:

https://content.invisioncic.com/r277599/monthly_2017_02/DSC_0947.JPG.905ff5bff6d8ac1776d27b956edc83d8.JPG

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Jack Worstell said:

Matt...is it possible to remove the steering column without removing the steering box ?

The column by itself is what I want to remove.

Jack

The short answer is "No". What are you attempting to do?

Matt....we are exploring adding Electric Power Steering. using a unit out of a Saturn Vue.

This would require making modifications to the steering column both the inner shaft and the outer tube.

We added overdrive awhile back....great improvement.  But it sure is hard to steer and we

would like to improve this too.

Jack

Jack

If the steering gear is in proper condition, and full of lubricant, I can't imagine why you would want to modify it. In proper condition, it should steer quite easily.

Here's a photo when it came back from Lares:

DSC_0331.thumb.jpeg.cba027d64cefbe8ece0996e60ed22ddf.jpeg

DSC_0330.thumb.jpg.1049d7c457c20f4a76fe99e58d048885.jpg

That column is pressed in there tight.

• Like 1