63 Riviera A pillar trim removed

Turbinator

Gents, I'm trying to remove drivers side A pillar trim. Without taking a lot of the car apart I have stumbled trying to take the trim off and still be able to  use the trim again.

If anyone knows of literature that shows how to remove the trim on the A pillar I would be grateful.

Turbinator

9 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Interior or exterior trim?

Jim, thank you. The trim is the interior. I ve taken the screws loose of all the trim in the roof interior. I took out the trim piece at the junction of the A Pillar trim and the front and drivers side meeting place. I loosened the screws holding the plastic trim piece that snugs against the trim piece on the dash.

The interior A pillar trim seems to wrap around material on both sides of the trim. I'm tight vertically and horizontally for trim piece movement. I do not want to damage the chrome trim piece trying to remove the piece. ( I have a compass with a light that mounts with the rear view mirror and I need to run the power wire down to the dash lights is why I want to remover the A pillar trim piece. Additionally, with A Pillar trim piece removed it makes it easier for me to get the dash pad in and out. Oh, I've removed the Dash pad.

Thank you

Turbinator

Hey Turbinator.      That piece should be easy to remove. It does kind of wrap around the back side a bit & almost snaps into place. It could be a little sticky from age, or someone could have put adhesive of some kind on it, although I'm not sure why. Make sure the screws are out & pry lightly behind the near edge & it should pop right off. You shouldn't damage it if you're careful as it is pretty heavy gauge stainless steel.    Drew

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Hey Turbinator.      That piece should be easy to remove. It does kind of wrap around the back side a bit & almost snaps into place. It could be a little sticky from age, or someone could have put adhesive of some kind on it, although I'm not sure why. Make sure the screws are out & pry lightly behind the near edge & it should pop right off. You shouldn't damage it if you're careful as it is pretty heavy gauge stainless steel.    Drew

Rivnik, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me what is obvious to most people. Many things mechanical mystify me. Mechanical work is a challenge I enjoy see coming to a successful conclusion. I’ll post a before and after pic of the project.

Thanks again

Turbinator

thanks Tel! I should have known that since I have an old pair that are quite pitted! My bad Turb! No biggy though, they should still hold up to a bit of prying. And check out Demons recent related post of said piece slathered with sealant. could be the problem 

5 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Congrats Turbi!     Ive had mine off & on several times over the years & had the same experience. Just gotta keep wiggling the thing till it decides to let go. Thank God it wasn't glued on.

It’s im[ortant to keep the little b and little d straight. When I’m at a real dinner with linen tablecloth and more knives forks and spoons placed at my plate I wonder where my bread and water are placed. Well, hold out your left hand and make the ok sign anthe formation resembles the letter b for bread. Now, do the right hand the same way and the form is d for drink. Now you don’t have to worry about drinking someone else’s water or eating another’s bread. I’m loaded with a lot of useless information.

Turbinator

Mr. Rivnik, this note is for Mr Rivnut. Thank you for the help. I’m happy that baby was not glued on.!

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

That is a brilliant bit of info!   I am by nature socially inept, so I look forward to using it next time the wife & I are dining proper. Im sure she will be impressed, especially when I loudly demonstrate my newfound knowledge to the entire banquet hall. Cant wait!   & by the way, Eb, I do suffer from a touch of dyslexia. Glad Its not that noticeable.    Rivnik