Removing front leaf springs

MikeC5

Has anyone removed their front leaf springs (on a complete car)?  I don't have much choice but in supporting the frame on each side just behind the rear spring perches.  The frame is angled a bit on the bottom in that area so I was thinking I might support it further back where it flattens out.  Would I then have too much weight cantilevered forward of the supports? 

DSCN3304.JPG

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

Hey Mike,

Short of putting a spare motor in the back seat lol . do you have a  ceiling structure above (can't see it in pic.)? I have joists above mine and have used that structure when needing to apply downforce on a frame/suspension etc. All you would need is a couple of 2x's placed between your frame and the joists as far back as possible. Just a thought.

Bill

When I replaced the spring shackles on my Dodge Brothers, I jacked up each side, not just one end. It is 20 years ago so a bit hazy, but I think I put a good plank under the chassis and put the jack under that. It is a bit of a fiddle to get the load off the shackles. The wheel needs to be on the ground so the suspension is not pulling down on the shackles and the rest of the car needs to be completely supported on the jack so it is not pushing down on the shackles. I may have even used a lever under the wheel to lift it just enough (with one hand) to remove the load so I could pull the bolt with the other hand.

To get the bush out of the spring eye I used a longer bolt and a piece of water pipe to push into, with a selection of washers etc. Remember to lubricate the bolt if you do this or it might get hot and seize.

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Remember to lubricate the bolt if you do this or it might get hot and seize.

I learned that one the hard way.....😢, I can vouch for that...they seize.

I got them removed today.  I put jack stands behind the rear spring perch and the job wasn't too difficult.  Taking a closer look at the driver side spring after a little cleaning shows 3 cracked leaves; one of them in 2 places.  No wonder it was sagging...

After closer inspection I find that the sagging side spring is a 9 leaf, as the vintage spring info for 24 -27 Dodge says it should be.  The top leave is about .270 thick while the other 8 leaves are around .21" thick (3 of which are cracked).  The other spring has only 8 leaves which are somewhat thicker (overall total thickness is only around 0.060" greater on 8 leave spring, other leaves about 0.25").  The top leave on the 8 leave spring is only about 0.025" thicker than the 9 leave leave  So aside from requesting a quote from Eaton for new ones, I'm not sure what I'll do.  I could have the 9 leave spring rebuilt to match the 8 leave but I do not need a rougher ride, that's for sure.  I'm guessing with all else equal an 8 leave spring with thicker leaves will be stiffer than a 9 leave with thinner leaves.