Air filter

Phils38cpe

Reattas were made BCAF (before cabin air filters)..... and your Reatta is probably a prime example of why the car manufactures started installing cabin air filters........the marketing people sold them as giving you cleaner air.

If you ask a mechanic they were installed to stop the problem you found.

attached is a picture of one that is actually in pretty good condition compared to some I have seen.........

If you have a Reatta and do not get good air flow out of the vents.......this is probably your problem.

The second picture shows the tools I use to clean the A/C evaporator.....the night light on the end of the cord can be dropped into the cavity and gives you plenty of light to see what you are cleaning.

The plastic tubing with the 90 degree brass fitting attaches to your shop vac so it can suck the crud off the front of the evaporator.

EVAPORATOR.jpg

tools.jpg

Start by raising the hood and on the passenger side of the firewall find the blower motor controller (item #1)

The evaporator can be seen when you look into the hole when the motor controller is removed.....

It is not brain surgery but you don't have a lot of room to work.

fan module.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here a couple of photos that might be helpful. The evaporator in the first photo is what needs to be cleaned. The second photo shows the blower motor control module that has to be removed to get at it. Some people also remove the blower/motor but with the improvised tools like Barney uses you can get by without removing the blower.

I'm not sure who give credit for these photos but thank you for posting them.

evaporator_cleaning-1.jpg

evaporator_cleaning-6.jpg

• Thanks 1

I sprayed my evaporator with carb cleaner then sprayed it with water. I then followed up with compressed air to dry the water out. Repeated it several times until the evaporator was clean. 

Now works great. [Did the Red and the 'vert. Now have to do the Black].

With it out it is even easier to clean................

Looks like we have about the same taste in vehicles..........I have a '39 Buick sport coupe,   had a new '84 Fiero.........have you every owned a Corvair?

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

With it out it is even easier to clean................

Looks like we have about the same taste in vehicles..........I have a '39 Buick sport coupe,   had a new '84 Fiero.........have you every owned a Corvair?

I looked at a turbo spider corvair once and a good friend of mine once had a Yanko Stinger

Great minds think alike. :)  I've had a '88 Fiero Formula and a '62 Corvair. I loved my Fiero but it didn't have enough room in the footwell for a bigfoot like me.  The Corvair was great for doing donuts in the snow but I didn't like the rev limiter, (called a fan belt), that would fly off if I wound the engine too tight. :)

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Great minds think alike. :)  I've had a '88 Fiero Formula and a '62 Corvair. I loved my Fiero but it didn't have enough room in the footwell for a bigfoot like me.  The Corvair was great for doing donuts in the snow but I didn't like the rev limiter, (called a fan belt), that would fly off if I wound the engine too tight. :)

If you want to see about my Fiero Formula find a copy of Hot Rod magazine from May 2001 and start on pg 84 and go to pg 89 and you can read all about it. I had a warmed up 97 SC3800 power plant 

Brag brag brag

Edited by Phils38cpe (see edit history)

Been a subscriber to Hot Rod since about 1960 so I will have that issue.........I have heard about some of the conversions done to Fieros but have not seen one in person.  That must be a rocket.......I have owned a couple of supercharged Regals 1999 and 2000 and they were fast enough.    A few Reattas have been converted to 3800 supercharged powered and that would be a great combination.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phils38cpe said:

If you want to see about my Fiero Formula find a copy of Hot Rod magazine from May 2001 and start on pg 84 and go to pg 89 and you can read all about it. I had a warmed up 97 SC3800 power plant 

Brag brag brag

I don't have that copy of Hot Rod. You have good reason to brag. I think the SC 3800 would be the ideal swap. I do still have a copy of the October 1987 Hot Rod magazine that tells about putting a V-8 Chevy in a Fiero.